We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2D/1N - Cape Cod or Nantucket?

Singapore
Level Contributor
66 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
2D/1N - Cape Cod or Nantucket?

We are planning on visiting the Cape Cod area for 2D/1N stay early November.

2 questions:

1. Would you recommend staying on the Cape Cod for the entire duration (just driving around different towns) or doing an overnight in Nantucket? I can't tell differences between the beauty of Cape Cod and Nantucket from just online images - both look equally gorgeous but nothing sets one above the other. We don't have plans to visit this area in the near future since we live half way across the world, since it will be great to get some help.

FYI We will have a rental car with us so there is a concern re what to do with the car if we stay overnight in Nantucket (understand you can't bring cars to Nantucket).

2. Which towns in Mid Cape would you recommend staying in (if we stay in Cape Cod)? I see that Falmouth and Hyannis have the most number of hotels and B&Bs in the area. Again, I can't tell the difference between the towns based on online research.

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Nantucket
Nantucket
Massachusetts
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
588 Reviews
from $94.50*
$105.00
Go Boston Card, with Access To...
127 Reviews
from $59.00*
Special Offer
Small-Group Day Trip to Plymouth and...
5 Reviews
from $94.50*
$105.00
From Boston to Cape Cod Day Trip...
188 Reviews
from $78.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,292 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2D/1N - Cape Cod or Nantucket?

Hi, if you take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of the page there is one entitled "Which town? Where Should We Stay on the Cape" there is a lot of good info there to help you. As for choosing between CC & Nantucket, I think you would get more out of staying on the Cape especially at that time of year & with the limited time you have.

Edited: 9:09 am, October 02, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Nantucket
Nantucket
Massachusetts
Finland
Level Contributor
896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2D/1N - Cape Cod or Nantucket?

I have been to Cape Cod twice and I'd go there for the whole available time. Would not rush in two places in such a short time. The small hotels and B&Bs are nice. Nov is out of the season though.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,298 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2D/1N - Cape Cod or Nantucket?

Two days and one night is very little time to even begin to explore Cape Cod. It wouldn't make sense to try to squeeze in a trip to Nantucket as well.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Nantucket
Nantucket
Massachusetts
Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2D/1N - Cape Cod or Nantucket?

I agree ... with only 2 days and 1 night, you'll be much better off staying on the Cape and using your time to explore a few different towns. Yes, November is off-season. But you'll still find plenty to keep yourselves busy.

Each town on the Cape has it's own "personality". If you'll let us know what kind of lodgings, activities, etc. you prefer, that'll help us to help you narrow down a town for your stay.

Singapore
Level Contributor
66 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2D/1N - Cape Cod or Nantucket?

Thanks all - we will concentrate on Mid Cape then.

We like exploring quaint towns and would like to stay on nice B&Bs to get a coastal experience. No real preference to be honest.

Btw is it worth factoring a visit and driving all the way to Ptown?

Much appreciated

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2D/1N - Cape Cod or Nantucket?

Yes, IMHO it's definitely worth visiting the Outer Cape. Whether you go all the way out to Provincetown or not is up to you. Although, with very little traffic to contend with in November, it's a real easy trip from the Mid-Cape region.

If you like a quaint atmosphere and B&Bs, then Hyannis is probably not your best choice. It's one of the more commercial villages on Cape Cod. If you want to stay in the Mid-Cape region, Yarmouthport would be a better choice.

A little farther down Cape, Brewster and Chatham are full of charm. And if you don't mind being a little farther out, Eastham is a great choice. Yellowbird - a regular poster on this forum - owns the Fort Hill B&B in Eastham. It's in a beautiful area with access to wonderful beaches, walking and biking paths, and plenty near enough to other great towns (including Provincetown) for some exploring.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 8:52 pm, October 02, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Brewster
Brewster
Cape Cod, MA
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Singapore
Level Contributor
66 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2D/1N - Cape Cod or Nantucket?

CapeCodVacays, I went through the TA Cape Cod Top Question thread again and also narrowed down to staying at Chatham and Brewster (before I read your response). So your response confirmed my choices.

Thanks very much for your (and everyone who responded)help! Can't wait to get to Cape Cod :)

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Brewster
Brewster
Cape Cod, MA
8. Re: 2D/1N - Cape Cod or Nantucket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod