We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

Hi there. My boyfriend and I will be visiting Boston for the first time Sept. 26th - Oct 3rd. There seems to be so much to do its almost overwhelming! We will be renting a car and driving to Rockland(from Boston Logan Airport) for the first night and then head towards the Cape the next day. We would like to stay the night somewhere on the Cape but I am having trouble deciding on where to stay! There are so many different towns and from what I can tell Provincetown, Eastham and Chatham all seem to be popular choices. Can anyone please recommend a good place to stay along with hotel and/or B&B. Also, if there are any “must-do’s” I would really appreciate the recommendations. I would hate to miss out on something amazing because I didn’t ask ahead of time.

Thanks yall!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,082 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

We need help from you. Are you into nightlife? If yes, what kind of nightlife? Dancing? Pub with live music? Something else?

What do you like to do duirng the day ... easy hikes? cycling? shopping?

Keep in mind that you are coming "off season" and if the weather is good, all parts of the Cape will most likely be a bit 'lively' on a weekend, but on weekdays, some parts could be quiet.

I think the Cape Cod National Seashore is a "must see" . It consists of beaches and bike paths and walking trails. My favorite walking trails are the Beech Tree Forest in Provincetown and the Cedar Swamp walk (I think that's in Eastham, but I"m not sure.) Stop at the Vistor's Center in Eastham, view a film about Cape Cod History and pick up some information.

Other things that are worthwhile and may be of interest to you on the outer Cape are the Pilgrim Monument, Art's Dune Tours, the Provincetown Art Association Musuem ( all in Provincetown), a weekend night at the drive-in in Wellfleet might be fun, the Vineyard in Truro is interesting and Cape Cod Light, also in Truro.

If you golf, check out the oceanside/Scottish style course in Truro, right next to the light. In fact, that light was moved (so it wouldn't tumble into the ocean) and people joked that it would become the world's biggest mini-golf obstacle. ;)

As for where to stay ... what's your nightly budget and will you be there from the 27th to the 3rd or will you be adding another stop to your itinerary?

Edited: 4:23 pm, September 21, 2012
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

WOW thank you for the help! I am so glad someone with so much information responded :)

So let me start with this. I love the nightlife but not as much as I used to when I was 21 haha. Now days I'm more a fan of dive bars, pubs, live music, and places with good food and amazing wine/drinks. I'm kind of a foodie so I want to try as much of the seafood/local fare as there is to offer bc in Oklahoma seafood consists of fried catfish! haha! I am also a closet history nerd so I am hoping to get my fill when we stay in Boston.

So far, the only thing we have booked is flights (getting into Boston at 10pm 9/26) and then renting a car and driving to Rockland for the night. The "subject to change" plan so far is to spend the night of the 27th on the Cape somewhere, take the rental car back up to Salem on Friday the 29th (we signed up for a witch hunt tour thing) and then stay Sat & Sun in Boston. We finish up the trip by taking the Amtrack to Portland, Maine on Monday and explore around there for 2 days before flying back home (out of Portland) .

Like I said, we literally only have flights and the first night at the hotel booked! I am starting to stress out a bit!

Thanks again for the help and recommendations! It is so very much appreciated!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

Also..... during the day, Id love to maybe try a bike tour and do a little shopping and take in the rest of the Cape. Possibly a whale watch tour? Oh and as far as budget for the evening at the Cape I'd like to stay under $200. If there are any really charming B&Bs, I'd love to stay at one. I've read Dyer's in P-town is pretty good. Do people prefer hotels or B&Bs on the cape?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

Just so you know, the 60 miles long & consists of 15 towns. Dyer's is in a great location on the water in P-town but it is a motel. There are tons of really charming B&Bs on the Cape. Check out the Fort Hill B&B in Eastham, nearby to the National Seashore. If you are a foodie, Chillingsworth in Brewster is an excellent restuarant with several options, an "early bird" 3 course meal that is a great bargain at $25.00, a bistro & a high-end formal dining room. All of the food is great, no matter which you choose.

You have lots & lots of options and you won't be able to see everything in a day but that will just give you reason to return.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,403 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

If you end up staying in a more mid-Cape location then a great place for what you've mentioned for dining would be www.embargorestaurant.com

If you want to stay nearby check out www.anchorin.com to stay right on the harbor. And if you don't go to dinner on nearby Main St, Hyannis at Embargo or www.nakedoyster.com then you can go 'campy' and eat seafood at Baxters built out over the water within an easy stroll of AnchoIn. www.baxterscapecod.com is a bit historic itself and you can read about it on their website where you will see their phone number as I'm not sure when in Sept they close for the season. And for something historic I suggest one of the tours that you can take with http://falmouthhistoricalsociety.org perhaps followed by a bike ride from Falmouth to Woods Hole and back on the beautiful Shining Sea bike path just before you depart the Cape....since this area is close to the bridge.

Also, try to decide on a few things that you want to do and don't overload your schedule because, you are right, there is a lot to see and do so you need to give yourselves 'permission' to skip a lot of the Cape so that you can enjoy what you are going to do. You'll just have to come back another time.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
574 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

I recently had a couple from TX who were first-timers on Cape as tenants -- they had planned to stay 5 nites originally but changed it to 3 nites -- I said to them: thats like visiting Disney World for 6 hrs on first time!

They found I was right and ended up staying 5 nites and they felt they'd only hit some of the highlights...

I've had others who stayed a week here and thought same...as others said, the Cape is much bigger than an amusement park so you need to figure travel time, even now in off-season as roads here are windy and slow.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

You're a foodie, a history buff, like dive bars, live music bars/pubs, biking, want to do a whale watch... You should be spending MUCH more time in Boston! It's a great place for all of the above.

Boston is not a generic "big city". It's really a fabulous place to visit, with several charming and historic neighborhoods in a compact, walkable city. It really seems like you should spend considerably more time there. It's the best match for all of your stated interests.

I'm not saying skip the Cape, but you may be missing out on the things you would appreciate the most by spending only two nights in Boston. I suggest splitting your time between the Cape and Boston. Possibly skip Salem, or just take the commuter rail up there for a day trip from Boston. You can make the decision to do it or not.

Though it isn't a full representation of all the Cape has to offer, Provincetown is a fun spot and you can get there and back by ferry from Boston. That's another place where you don't need a car. If it were me, I would spend more time in Boston and Cambridge, and take the ferry to P-town for an extended weekend. It should still be lively.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

I meant to add that you don't need (or want) a car in Boston. You don't need one for Salem either (take the train from Boston and walk around the central historic district). Just get the car for the Cape portion of your trip, unless you decide to limit it to Provincetown and take the ferry.

9. Re: Oklahoma girls first trip to the Cape! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 10, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod