We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on outer Cape when it's raining

New England
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on outer Cape when it's raining

I thought some of the regulars might enjoy weighing in on this one1

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on outer Cape when it's raining

There is a top question on this very subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k2930…

Here's what I would do:

-browse antique shops and all the wonderful second-hand shops

-Visit the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History

-Drop into one of the independent bookstores & pick up a few new novels

- Check out a few galleries

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,441 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on outer Cape when it's raining

The Truro Museum at Cape Cod light is interesting. It's in an old rooming house that Thoreaux is said to have visited while writing "Cape Cod".

Gallery hopping in P-town is fun .... but it seems lots of people do this on a rainy day. I love Tim's Used books in P-town, too. A "new" book from Tim's, a treat from the Portuguese Bakery and a cup of tea is a great way to spend a rainy afternoon in our rental cottage.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on outer Cape when it's raining

When you are on the outer cape and it is raining, then you need to find you "inner cape"

Play board games with your family while making popcorn and drinking hot chocolate (on the cooler days)

catch up on your reading

actually write a letter to a friend on a piece of paper

take a walk in the rain and get wet!!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on outer Cape when it's raining

If it is not raining too hard then pop from shop to gallery to shop on Main St. in Chatham. Start around the rotary (don't miss Yankee Ingenuity) and head down Main St. stopping at Chatham Cookware for a pastry and tea (before 2PM) then continue on down the east side of the street. Going back up the other side of Main you can next stop at The Squire for a bowl of Clam Chowder then continue on up the other side of the street.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on outer Cape when it's raining

If only you had asked for Mid-Cape rainy day activities I could have suggested reading post #4 in the Rainy Day thread inside the list on the right called Top Questions.

6. Re: What to do on outer Cape when it's raining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 09, 2013