We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Need Backup Plans!!

Seekonk...
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Need Backup Plans!!

Hoping someone can offer some ideas! We have a quick midweek getaway planned for next week. Booked a motel in Orleans already. Traveling with our family of 4, including 10 and 12-year-old boys. Had planned on mostly beach days. Well, one son had medical procedure on his foot and now doctor says don't go near a beach or anywhere sandy! He's mobile and can swim in a pool, water slide, etc., but no beaches, even just to walk along.

So we need to fill three days with non-beach activities on the Cape--how's that for ironic? I know we'll do mini golf, maybe walks on the nature trails. He is mobile and no other restrictions.

Any other ideas??? We checked the inflatable water park, but at least in the pictures it appears to be all sand! Any suggestions appreciated!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Need Backup Plans!!

How about a whale watch or kayaking? Check the baseball schedule in Orleans.

Does your motel have a pool?

Seekonk...
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Need Backup Plans!!

Whale watch would be fun---but two of us get seasick pretty easy! Motel actually has indoor and outdoor pools so we'll definitely spend some time there. Kayaking might be fun. Any suggestions on an area/company? I'll check on baseball, too!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm doing research, too, but personal experience is always helpful!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Need Backup Plans!!

lighthouse tours, seal tour, I guess even kettle ponds are out unless there is someplace with a dock to jump off of, can he ride on the ccrt? Is CCL baseball still going on? can he walk out on the breakers in provincetown? glass blowing in sandwich (the museum may not be so exciting but the blowing is fun), kennedy museum,

are there any local theater still? daytrip to MV and see the cottages in OB, tour to Aquinnah

It is tough to come up with ideas that don't include sand.

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Need Backup Plans!!

FYI ... CapeCod Baseball League games ended last week.

A few more ideas: Biking, fishing, geocaching, crabbing ...

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Need Backup Plans!!

Water Wizz! I think its in Mashpee but not certain,do a google search

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Need Backup Plans!!

For kayaking, this person has had good reviews. I have not gone myself. http://www.explorecapecod.com/

Can your son bike? That's a great idea. There are places to rent bikes near the Cape Cod Rail Trail, and one right opposite the Nat'l. Seashore Visitor Center in Eastham.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Need Backup Plans!!

Hi, we have rented kayaks from Goose Hummock located right near the Orleans rotary. You can go out to Nauset Marsh, it is a nice spot. There are bumper boats, batting cages and go carts in Harwichport on Rt. 28. Here's a link for the bumper boats:

http://www.capecodbumperboats.com/

Seekonk...
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Need Backup Plans!!

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm starting to not panic so much--we'll find plenty to do!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,310 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Need Backup Plans!!

www.kidsonthecape.com is a publication that you should pick up and you can look at right now. Also look at the Top Questions here on the right: Rainy day activities and Free Things to do on the Cape.

I'm curious. What motel in Orleans has both an indoor and outdoor pool?

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Need Backup Plans!!

CPAE: In your original question you mentioned the inflatable water park. If you're talking about the new one on Rt. 28 in W. Yarmouth, from what I can see as I drive by, the so-called water park is not much more than a bunch of big blow-up water slides, etc., all set up on a bed of trucked-in sand.

Pretty pitiful, IMHO. And this, in a town that claims to be making an effort to "pretty up" its stretch of Rt. 28. Not exactly the way I'd go about the pretty-up process if I were in charge. ;-)

Edited: 5:17 pm, August 22, 2012