We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good movies about Cape Cod?

Newton...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Good movies about Cape Cod?

My family is going to Cape Cod next week. Any good movies about Cape Cod or filmed in Cape Cod?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Good movies about Cape Cod?

How about Jaws? Filmed on Martha's Vineyard.

Newton...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good movies about Cape Cod?

LOL. I like the idea, although showing the movies to the kids will not add to the excitement about going to the Cape.

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good movies about Cape Cod?

One of my all time faves is "Summer Catch". It's an oldie-but-goodie, released in 2001.

It's the story of a local boy who's invited to play in the Cape Cod Baseball League. He plays for the Chatham A's, meets a rich girl who summers on the Cape, falls in love, and .... (no, I'm not going to spoil the ending by telling it to you here ;-)

See the movie, then go see a Cape League game while you're here. The games are a fantastic outing for the whole family - made even more special if you've seen the movie!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good movies about Cape Cod?

Other than "Jaws" and "Summer Catch", I can only think of "One Crazy Summer" filmed around the Cape in the mid '80's, and "The Golden Boys" who's original title was "Chatham" about 2 older sea captains fighting for a younger woman....set in th early 1900's.

"One Crazy Summer" if you haven't seen it was one of those cheesey romantic comedies of the time. It is set on Nantucket, but was filmed on the Cape.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good movies about Cape Cod?

A bit of The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming, was filmed in Nantucket (but most was filmed in California).

Here's a list of movies filmed in Mass. Just search for Cape Cod and you'll get results--but don't necessarily expect to recognize the titles!

http://www.mafilm.org/made-in-mass/

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good movies about Cape Cod?

Never saw it but thought that Summer Catch was filmed almost totally in NC with a few brief scenes actually done here...but Golden Boys was done locally (except for some green screen stuff, I think) and one of the guys who I see weekly who works at Chatham transfer station ("dump") is an extra in it for two scenes and I recognized him in movie....The 'post office' is what used to be Caped Cod record shop next to hardware store.

Check out "Lightkeepers" by same director (who's now in jail due to tax issues resulting from those movies).

I vaguely recall 'One Crazy Summer" and noted a few places that I knew.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good movies about Cape Cod?

The last film Merna Loy ever made was an HBO film with Henry Fonda filmed here on Cape Cod called Summer Solstice.This had to be in the early 1980's. I remember it as a lovely film but have not been able to find it. If anyone out there knows where I can find it I would love to see it again. Great dune shots, as I recall.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good movies about Cape Cod?

You can search IMDB for titles based on location:

http://www.imdb.com/search/text?realm=title&field=locations&q=Cape+Cod

Stuck on You jumps out.

Cape Cod isn't very big.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Good movies about Cape Cod?

Hi yellowbird, Summer Solstice is available on Ebay at the moment in VHS formula. Not available on Amazon.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good movies about Cape Cod?

Thanks Senior... I just ordered it up! I have been looking for this movie for a while...it was one I watched with my father on TV late one night just before he passed away so it has sentimental value. Rumor has it that this film is based on the lives of some folks we know...so there is a curiosity factor as well, LOL! We still have our VCR in the cottage, as well as DVD. We will have to plan a time with no guests to see this film in the cottage. Maybe some cold winter night with a fire in the stove and a big tub of buttered popcorn :-)