We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer water temperature

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Summer water temperature

Is there a big difference between the bay side and the sound side (Dennisport)?

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer water temperature

Yes, the bay side is cooler than the sound side. It also has tidal flats at low tide that will warm up some tidal pools considerably though. Little kids like playing and splashing around in them.

Bay side is not as cold as the Atlantic (National Seashore) side though.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer water temperature

The answer could be yes or no. The biggest difference is between Nantucket Sound waters(Dennisport) and the Atlantic beaches where the waves are fun, the temp is bone-chilling cold,kids are shivering and surfers are wearing wet suits.

I would recommend experiencing all of these beaches however (Mayflower on the bayside at low tide is easy to reach from Dennisport) during your vacation.

If you want to see a comprehensive 'discussion' of the Cape Cod beaches look back a ways on this forum for one topic that has something like 80 posts on it.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer water temperature

Check this link for general beach info and some water temps:

capecodbeachchair.com/beachguide/index.cfm…

Nantucket Sound beach waters can be a bit chilly, Cape Cod Bay waters are cold and the Atlantic is Really cold. The younger you are the less you notice the difference! ;)

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer water temperature

It depends on who you ask! I grew up on the bay side which I always thought was plenty warm (would often go for an evening dip). We would occasionally go to the Ocean side (Nauset Beach) where a toe in the water would take your breath away as it was so chilly(it "warms up" by mid-august and reaches a "balmy" 64*). However, my husband who grew up on the sound side thinks the bay side is freezing! I have found the sound side to get to low 70's and be quite comfortable. We even went swimming in the sound in October this year! Although, seeing you are from Jackson, I would say if you frequent Echo Lake at all, you will be fine at either the sound or the bay side.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer water temperature

Here is a link for Falmouth beaches.

http://www.falmouthvisitor.com/activities.htm

It seems that the avg. water temp is a balmy 70 degrees. Most Falmouth beaches have low water inlets where the kids can scoop up little critters with nets, esp. Old Silver, Woodneck and Menhaunt beaches. Windy days bring out the kite surfers at Chappaquoit(Chappy) and Old Silver. Great sunsets there as well!

london
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer water temperature

forget about swimming and just stretch on the beach!It simply too cold :))

7. Re: Summer water temperature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, October 14, 2009