We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-95 traffic

NJ
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
I-95 traffic

Will be driving to Cape (Plymouth) from NJ August 20.. In past years have gone southern route via I-95. Some years it is clear, last year like a parking lot. Would like to hear from recent travelers who have gone I-95 to Providence. Other option is going 84 to 495 to 44. Bit longer but not if sitting in

I-95 traffic. Is there a I-95 conditions website?

Thank you,

Low Tide Guy

Stamford...
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-95 traffic

L.T.G.

Made this nightmare trip from Fairfield County, CT a bazillion times. Driven it from Allentown, Morristown, Red Bank and Rockland Co., but mostly from the Westchester/Fairfield areas. Know this: it's about a 9.9 on a suck meter - unless you're into moonlight drives.

I will be leaving CT on that Saturday too, planning for nothing later than a 06:00 depart. l plan to be in Providence @ 08:00-08:15 for breakfast and in Hyannis @ 12:00.

Currently there are pockets of construction along most of I-95 west of New Haven down to the New York border. Stamford has recently cleared up. East of NH seems to be pretty clear, as of a few weks ago.

Westchester County is pretty clear now that the TZ work has been finished. I-287 in West. Co. has occaisonal nite-time work, but not full road closure. Forget about GW to The Bronx.

I'm not so sure I would be too quick to opt for I-84, I travel it often to Danbury & Waterbury. Problem is, if there is an incident on I-84 - you're cooked. At least on 95 you have a re-route chance. And, as you say, it is very convoluted - way out of the way - and I HATE sitting in traffic. Remember, you're going to Plymouth-not Boston.

This:

GSP or I-287(NJ) north to I-87s/287e(NYS) to TZ to Cross West Expy to end @ I-95 north in to & out of CT.

is what I would do if I were you.

If you visit the CBS 880 AM website, they have great highway cams - I use them often before any Tri-State trips.

good luck & safe trip

ADM HALSEY

NJ
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I-95 traffic

ADM-Loved your suck meter rating Usually do the parkway to TZ like you said. Have gotten slammed on 1-95 there too. Last year TZ was crazy. You make an excellent point regarding delays on 84. More options on 95. Pondered the night driving thing Friday. However with bikes, dog and roof packing after a full day working. Don't need to chance it. Will pump coffee into my wife and carry my daughter, pillow and all in early AM. Surf CBS 880 daily, will check out traffic am before trip. Thanks for your extensive post.

Have a blast in Hyannis.

Regards,

L.T.G.

New York
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-95 traffic

We live in southern orange county, NY - woodbury commons area. We are leaving this Saturday for the Cape. For the last two years we have opted to take the I-84 route. We are formerly from Westchester County and made many long trips via 287 to 95 and always sat in so much traffic. We do leave early in the morning (around 5:30am) which includes a stop at Dunkin Donuts to keep us going! Doing this we make sure we are over the cape cod bridge before the crazy traffic. With 5 & 7 year old boys we would rather leave early and be at the beach before we can check into our rental, than sit in traffic. My parents who still live in Westchester take the I-95 way and usually are on the road around the same time. We have always been on the cape a good 45 minutes - 1 hour before them. We have found that at that time of day it is a really pleasant drive and the connection to 495 etc. is really not hard, it is pretty smooth. Having to take the GSP to the TZ to 287 to 95 seems like a long trip to start your long trip off with!!

Good luck and lets all keep our fingers crossed for great weather on the cape!!

NJ
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I-95 traffic

Anyone travel these routes last week or so? Conflicting posts. Yikes.

LTG

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-95 traffic

We went the 84-495-44 route and the only traffic we hit was around the Mass Pike Toll area. Then again, we did opt to drive up on Friday night (8/5) as opposed to Saturday morning.

Worked out well for us. Got there in 3 hours, stayed overnight at a motel (before going into our rental house) and had all of Saturday as opposed to sitting in traffic for 1/2 the day ;-)

Enjoy your vacation :-)

NJ
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I-95 traffic

Minivanmom-Thanks for the post. However you left Friday PM so it may be hard to judge.

LTG

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I-95 traffic

Low Tide Guy,

Not sure how old your daughter is but I would HIGHLY recommend the Pirate Cruise outta Plymouth.

http://www.piratefun.com/pirate.html

Tons of fun, even for 'little ones'. Trust me, you won't regret it.

If you think this is something you're interested in doing, I would suggest calling ahead and making reervations. They sell out quickly!

Enjoy :-)

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I-95 traffic

When we return next summer we will do the same, drive up on Friday night, stay at a motel, then 'check in' to the house on Saturday afternoon.

I had the van all packed and ready to go for my husband. He came in from work, washed up and we were on our way...

5 People and a van FULL of 'stuff'. ;-)

NJ
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I-95 traffic

Is that the same company that does the lobster trip? I grew up in Manomet during summers. She is 11. Do they serve rum!(joke)

NJ
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I-95 traffic

what no dog in the car? Where's your sense of adventure? I am the one who packs the car with everything. I mean everything.

LTG

Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod