We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watch suggestions

florida
1 post
Save Topic
whale watch suggestions

we'll be visiting cape cod next summer (family of four, kids 7 and 9) and would like to take a whale watch cruise at some point. i've looked at several sites but would like a real world opinion. a work associate was there last year and recomended Hyannis Whale Watch Cruises

MA
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watch suggestions

I work for a hotel in Sandwich and we have a few brochures for the local whale watches in our office. From my own experience and what other guests have told me over the years Hyannis whale watch is the most common choice depending where on the capeyou will be staying. There is also one out of Plymouth and Provincetown. From what I understand the whales are found mainly in the Provincetown area so the Plymouth and Hyannis boats head to that area anyhow. This would mean a shorter drive getting to the dock, but a longer boat ride getting to the whales. Provincetown is at the end of the Cape (about a 90 minute drive from us- so there and back is about 3 hours to drive) so if you don't mind the drive you will get more time to see the whales and probably less time on the boat because you are already there. The Hyannis and Plymouth trips tend to be about 3-4 hours between getting there, seeing the whales, and getting back. The only catch about going to Provincetown is the "culture" is a bit different there and some families with young children wouldn't want to have to explain to the kids about the"culture". So it really is a toss up between how much time you want to spend on the boat and in the car. Here are some more websites for you to check out if you haven't seen them already:

Dolphin Fleet of Provincetown:

www.whalewatch.com

Capt. John's Boats of Plymouth:

www.captjohn.com

Hyannis Whale Watch:

www.whales.net

ams
Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watch suggestions

I would wholeheartedly recommend Dolphin Fleet in Provinetown.

A friend and I toook a trip with them about 3 summers ago and had an amazing trip. A mother and her calf stayed with our boat for about half an hour and each of their trips has a qualified naturalist on board to explain about the whales and engage in research.

Also, as the previous poster points out, Provincetown is closer to the area (Stellawagen Bank?) where the whales congregate, so you have more 'whale time' from Provincetown.

Enjoy!

MA
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watch suggestions

Dolphin Fleet in Provincetown is operated by the Center for Coastal Studies, so scientists that track the whales and do research are aboard each vessel and act as your guide. All the boats go out to Stellwagon - no matter what site you leave from, it's just much closer to Ptown. The sunset cruise might be a great idea for a family with kids. When my kids were young we took this trip many times. You are not out baking in the glaring, frying sun, it's relaxing and cool in the evening. They sell food on board or bring your own picnic. The boats leave the docks aroung 5 pm - have your snack on the way out to the banks, by the time you've finished - you're in whale territory.

Rock Falls
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watch suggestions

I have a one-year-old, and my husband and I would really like to go out on a Whale Watch Cruise. Is this possible with a one-year-old, or would that be too windy?

Email me at cderrer@sterlingschools.org

Thank you

Boston
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: whale watch suggestions

Every summer when friends and family come to town I take them on a whale watch. I've had the most consistent sightings from boats that leave out of Gloucester on the North Shore.

Just google whale watching in Gloucester to find detailed information.

Gloucester is at least an hours drive north of Boston. You can also get a train from North Station in the city.

If you do drive up that way, Rockport is a beautiful little town that is worth stopping at. It's a dry town so no alcohol is sold in it's restaurants. Gloucester is not a dry town.

Hartsdale, New York
Level Contributor
107 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whale watch suggestions

Big fan of the Dolphin Fleet out of Provincetown here.

It also depends on where you stay. If you stay on the outer cape, then the Dolphin Fleet is your best bet.

To the person who asked about taking the 1 year old. It's possible, but I wouldn't advise it. They do have large heated cabins where you would easily be able to set up and keep the baby shielded from the elements, but the boat can get really rocky.