We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

Anytown
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

Hi. I posted earlier from ideas and got LOTS of great info, advice, etc. Thanks to those who helped.

Leaving tomorrow and I have a 7 hour drive (without traffic) from Philly to Dennisport. I've heard traffic is terrible! Any suggestions? I was going to try to leave here around 4:30am but I'm thinking now that that will put me in the middle of the big rush. I'm not opposed to sitting in traffic as it is unavoidable but would like to avoid a 10 hour drive if possible.

Sugggestions Anyone?

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
664 Reviews
from $94.50*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card, with Access To...
136 Reviews
from $57.00*
$60.00
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
48 Reviews
from $61.00*
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,776 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

Folks from your area can tell you the best way to get to the Sagamore bridge but I don't agree with those who say that you have to be over the bridge by 9AM. When we travel to the Cape we always arrive on Saturdays and we get to the bridge about 2PM. Maybe we slow a little but we have never yet sat in dead still traffic. Really I don't remember one time that we had a problem.

Also, if you get up too early on your first day of vacation it can throw your (if not yours then your mother's) system out of whack for a few days. Don't sweat it. You are not driving in from Boston or other points closer to the Cape than where you are.

BTW, where in Dennisport are you staying? We always like to read a trip report from happy vacationers.

When you arrive in Dennisport stop at the Visitor's Center at Rt. 28 and Rt. 134 right behind Kreme n Kone and pick up (at least) Cape Week. If you arrive after they close (open Mon-Sat. 10 to 4) don't worry cause it is inside the newspaper box right outside the front door. There's no charge. Just open the box and take one.

Alternately you can pull over as you arrive on Hwy 6 at the Visitors Center right after Hyannis and get Cape Week and all sorts of other tourist info to look at including some maps.

I called book stores in Dennis, Harwichport, Hyannis to try to find the latest Kim Grant book for you since I think that's a great guide. I couldn't find even one copy until I called Yellow Umbrella Books at 501 Main St. in Chatham. 508-945-0144.

Have fun but take the time to enjoy the Cape at a relaxed pace.

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

CCC is correct to some extent.

I’m a big one for leaving early and I imagine I’ve freaked lots of people out – but for me it’s more about getting out of NYC as getting on to the Cape. Just getting out of NYC and on to 95 can take hours and that traffic dosen’t let up on the weekends – in fact it’s often worse. I leave early to spare my nerves. Considering you’re in Philly I do think you can leave later – but I’d avoid the NYC tunnels and bridges at all costs.

Anytown
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

Thanks for the good info! I'm going to stick to my plan to leave Philly early and take the Sagamore Bridge (thanks CCC!)

We are staying at The Last Resort at Seawinds Beach Resort on Old Wharf Road. Found it on vrbo.com - one bedroom w/ a pullout, full kitchen, etc.

CCC - Thank you SO much for calling about the book! We will definitely try to get it once we're on the Cape! That was incredibly thoughtful of you!

I will post a trip report upon our return. Thanks again!

NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

You may also want to consider an alternate route from 95 thru CT, etc. Instead, after you cross Hudson on Tappen Zee bridge, head up to 684, then 84 to 90 (Mass Tpk), then down 495, etc.

When this was first recommended to me, it sounded crazy. Mileage actually not that different though (you can check this on any mapping website). And, the potential time savings can be considerable as 95 can be a nightmare. You also avoid Providence.

This doesn't address the issues on the Cape, but as other posting noted, issue is mostly about traffic before you get to the Cape. Not much you can do afterwards.

Let me know if you'd like more specifics.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,776 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

I'm one who is not a fan of direct rentals but I CAN tell you at least that the Seawinds does indeed exist and is directly across the street from the houses that are on the sand. I'm sure there will be a bit of private beach for you and the public beach at Glendon as well. It's great to locate on or so near to the beach. You are just a short stroll to the Sailing Cow restaurant (and bar) and a short drive to other places of interest. Now it's off to bed with you for your early UP tomorrow right? Good night.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

The Cape traffic problem is really just late morning (10 to 1) thanks to people going on and off at the same time. And we do find that the traffic on the Sagamore is better now that the flyover is finished.

Your real challenge could be 95 in Connecticut given that there are beach communities all along that route with day trippers, etc. Tomorrow's forecast isn't great so you may benefit from the threat of rain.

The 684/84/90/495 idea is a good one. I might suggest that you just go 287 to the Merritt Parkway and then back over to 95 in the Meriden, CT area if need be. It's a short distance back to 95 (have to look at a map as I don't know the exact spot) and it can be helpful. The Merritt shouldn't be too busy on a Saturday morning.

And I'm all for leaving early....the more road you can put behind you before other people wake up the better!

Have a great vacation...wish I were going back myself tomorrow :)

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

Oh, for sure take the Merritt Parkway (15) for as long as you can. In addition to being quicker it’s about a million times prettier and it helps break up the trip - if I remember correctly its Milford where you have to cross back to 95.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

We're enjoying about a 40 minute decrease in driving time from central CT by going rte. 6 to rte 195 through Providence and then over the Sagamore. It's been a shorter drive on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

9. Re: Driving from Philly to Dennis Port tomorrow - help w/ timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, October 01, 2009