We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing/Route for Drive MD/DC to Cape Cod

Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Timing/Route for Drive MD/DC to Cape Cod

To make the fastest daylight-only drive between Maryland & Cape Cod in summertime, is it better to travel on weekdays or weekends?

I already know to avoid entering the Cape on a Friday PM or leaving it on a Sunday PM, and to avoid the big cities at weekday rush hour.

Over the years, we've tried various routes, but they all seem to have become horribly unpredictable to the point of stoppages & detours -- especially our old favorite (I95-I295-NJTpk-GardenState-I87-I287-TappanZee-15-I95-I195-25-6). Last year, we took the northern route (70-81-84-90-495-25-6) mid-week but hit major bottlenecks three times along the way. Just hoping better timing might help. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
637 Reviews
from $94.50*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
135 Reviews
from $57.00*
$59.00
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing/Route for Drive MD/DC to Cape Cod

Are you an AAA member? The AAA does a good job of alerting you to construction/roadwork which are, in my experience, the most common reason for delays & bottlenecks in summertime driving through the Mid-Atlantic & New England states.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing/Route for Drive MD/DC to Cape Cod

Good idea. Yes, I'm a AAA member, but I've never used that service before. Do you know how to get that advice -- is there a hotline to call? How current is the information -- up to the minute?

NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing/Route for Drive MD/DC to Cape Cod

Curious which route you took and how it went.

As far segment from NY to Cape, I've heard it may actually be quicker (and more pleasant) to take Route 84 through Hartford, up to Route 90, then down 495 towards the Cape rather than taking Route 95 the whole way.

Yahoo maps says it's only 25 miles further, so given how terrible 95 is, might actually be worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
MA
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing/Route for Drive MD/DC to Cape Cod

I would leave early on a Saturday morning from MD. This would have you getting on to the Cape in the mid to late afternoon. There are no good days to travel on the east coast...

Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timing/Route for Drive MD/DC to Cape Cod

We're back, and unfortunately didn't find the silver bullet. My advice: Don't travel to OR from the Cape on a Saturday afternoon in the summer!

On the trip up, we took the northern route (83-81-84-90-495) which moved well until 495 in Massachusetts. It cost us about two extra hours on Saturday for bottlenecks at construction lane-closures and on 25 approaching the bridge.

Coming back on the following Saturday afternoon took almost two hours just to creep from Sagamore to Bourne on 6W. But from that point on, things went well. To avoid the 495 construction, we took 195 to Providence, 95 to New Haven, then bushwhacked over to 84 via Rt 34 (which is a slow but lovely country road).

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Bourne
Bourne
Cape Cod, MA
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
New Haven
New Haven
Connecticut
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,644 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Timing/Route for Drive MD/DC to Cape Cod

As you are probably aware, Saturday is the changeover day for weekly rentals. So you have to plan on arriving early or late. You couldn't do early (like before 8 AM) because of where you began you trip. And you couldn't come late, because you wanted to drive during daylight only. Sorry to say traffic to the Cape is inevitable under those circumstances.

7. Re: Timing/Route for Drive MD/DC to Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, September 07, 2009