We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Cape Cod

NC
Level Contributor
59 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Cape Cod

We're a family with 2 kids (2 year old & 3 year old) and will be making our first trip to Cape Cod this summer during the last week of June (for 3 nights). I'm having trouble trying to figure out where to stay. Our main requirement is to have a room overlooking water, hopefully I can also find something less than $200/night. We also prefer hotel/motel to a B&B. Pools and kids activities aren't that important to us on this trip. We'll probably spend most of our days in the car riding around and seeing the sights.

So far I haven't found an area that really sticks out to me, so I would be open to any area suggestions.

Thanks for any suggestions -

Vistor from N.C.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Cape Cod

I'm very partial to the Outer Cape, so my suggestions for you center around that area.

We make an annual trip and take a rental house. But I've recently done some research into hotels because we'll have some additional visitors this year. I evaluated several places and wound up recommending Kalmar Village:

http://www.kalmarvillage.com/

I have never stayed at Kalmar Village, but I did speak with them to make some arrangements and found them to be easy to work with. I also have small children, and the set up at Kalmar seemed ideal. You will have a small kitchenette and they have very nice playareas, but you also will have maid service. Here's a user review from Trip Advisor that convinced me it was a good place:

----------------------------------------------

We have stayed at Kalmar Village for the past four years and will continue to vacation there! The location is prime for exploring the dunes as well as Ptown, using the easy shuttle that stops right at the front door. The views are beautiful, both in am and pm-of the harbor and the ships and pleasure boats. Housekeeping is a plus, along with the pool and lawn play area as well as lots of room for flying kites.

Cooking on the grills, in an equipped kitchen or at one of the many excellent nearby restaurants; a visit down to Wellfleet or Clem's for fresh seafood...free programs offered by the National Seashore...climbing the monument and going to church at St. Mary's...we love it all and look forward to our all too brief week in Truro.

--------------------------------------------------

I expect that most families will love Truro as much as we do, but it is a quieter area of Cape Cod. For us, the bay beaches are one of the most appealing aspects of Truro. Because you're at the tip of the Cape, the bayside has real sand, enough little waves to keep the water very fresh and entertain the kids. But, unlike the ocean beaches, I felt much more relaxed playing with my toddler at the calmer bay beaches.

Truro sits between Wellfleet and Providence, two wonderful towns. Wellfleet is a charming New England town with lots of attractive art galleries and a great toy shop. They also have a drive in movie theatre, which we have found to be great with little kids. Your toddlers will fall asleep after the first picture and you can enjoy the second feature in peace : )

Provincetown has several great features, including Pilgrim Monument, The Whydah Museum, and the Whale Watching fleets. Your children may be a bit young for some of those but you may want to look into Art's Dune Tours. We're going for the first time this year, so I can't recommend, but it sounds like a great way to enjoy the scenery and I think that the little ones would be amused.

In case you're not aware, I'll point out that Provincetown embraces diversity and is popular vacation spot with gay and lesbian vacationers. One person we travel with was initially concerned, but found that he was completely comfortable. I can't imagine that it would be any big deal, but thought I should mention it just in case.

Truro has a few features of it's own, although it is small. There is a lighthouse right in Truro, but your children will not be allowed to climb it because of their age. My son just turned 4 and I think he's allowed to climb this year. There also is a winery which some of our companions enjoyed. (I think wine tasting is always fun, but thought the wine they brought back to us was pretty bad).

I've found that the reviews and suggestions for P-town (Provincetown), Truro and Wellfleet are very useful, so take a look at the rest of this site if you decide to go!

take care,

Kate

Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod