We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo locations

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Photo locations

I am visiting Rethymnon, staying fairly close to the old town, but with a car, in August. Its a family hol, but I am a landscape photographer, so will take my camera, I am looking for recomendations of specific phot locations, especially panoramas, easily reachable by car. I will be particularly looking for places to shoot at and before sunrise (6-7am) within 20 mins drive of Rethymnon. :) Sunrise at the end of August ia about 15 degree north of due east, so north facing coastlines as well as n.e or east are perfect. I use google streetview in te UK, but I only have a vertical satellite view for crete.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo locations

Not a photographer, I use my phone for photos! Last year we stayed in a mountain village about 15 mins drive from Rethymnon - Roussospiti. The view from the taverna was stunning down to the sea, don't think they will be open so early, but if you want sunset shots, I can recommend the food and costs a lot less than down in Rethymnon.

viamichelin.co.uk/web/…

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo locations

Hi

I think I got just the perfect spot for you. Ask for the taverna Korifi. It is at the southwest edge of the town, on the top of a little hill. It is on the way from Rethymnon to Spili 1 km before the junction with the highway. That is of course a spot for a photo of the town as well as the photo of the sunrise.

Have a look of the spot: https:/…

Rethymnon has good photo chances for shooting sunsets, as the sun sets above or near the castle of fortezza (depending on the season), if you look from the beach to the west.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo locations

I suggest a trip on the hop-on-hop-off bus. As well as going through part of the town, it goes off into the countryside, giving fantastic views of the hills, great monasteries and a gorge. It also, if I remember the name correctly, has a stop in Roussospiti, so you can have a meal or a drink, and catch the bus an hour - or two - later.

There's also a very interesting war museum at the monastery Chromonastiri.

You could then visit by car at a time to suit you.

http://www.rethymnocitytour.gr/

One place the tour doesn't go to, but which is stunning, is the monastery Arkadi. Beautiful honey coloured stone which must be fantastic at sunrise.

Edited: 1:14 pm, May 08, 2014
4. Re: Photo locations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:38 pm, May 08, 2014
Edited: 1:38 pm, May 08, 2014
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photo locations

With ref to post 3, the Ho Ho bus has a stop just by the taverna I mentioned. There are 2 roads up to the village, so may I suggest go up on one and back down on the other, which is the route the Ho Ho bus does to take advantage of the views. If I was a bus driver, that is a job I wouldn't want to take on, for us it's only just OK in a small car!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photo locations

thanks everyone, I will be drawing in some recomendations on my maps and ost resutls back here in september :)

7. Re: Photo locations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 21, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Rethymnon Prefecture