We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

I m amazed by the information given on the Lake garda and area forums, infact so much i am bowled over and confused.

I have looked at the forum and take notes of places to visits. We do not like beach holidays and not able to sunbathe, we like food, wine and culture. We have a car for two weeks. I have a problem with climbing a lot steps and walking up and down mountains (arthritis) but walking is not a problem. We have been to a fair few places in italy but areas round Lake Garda are of interest on this time. We know Padua and Venice. My husband has booked a hotel in Sirmione but we can change this, however this would be ok for the wine regions to the east. I do like the idea of a 2 centre holiday so could any one recommend a place to stay as a base for one week to the west or east to get the maximum out of a 2 week trip.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sirmione
Sirmione
Province of Brescia, Italy
London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

Thank you so much I do appreciate it

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

im just making my final plans for my trip to lake garda. you recommended lago di tenno and then take the meadow to medieval village of Canale (car free area) but i can not see the village name on google maps. do we walk south towards the Villa Canale 76 ?

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

Hi Yorkslasstraveller, the village is there but for some reason is not marked. If you search on Google maps for 'La Piazzetta di Canale' it should pinpoint the village. Another search for ' Albergo Stella Alpina, Tenno ' will show you the car park at Tenno. The walk is well signposted from the car park, starting along Localita Lago di Tenno then just following the signs. Its a lovely walk and the village is beautiful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

thank yo u the medieval village of Canale and the car park are in my gps, must see places and on the map. So greatful

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

Yorkshirelass, you won't regret it! Don't forget to go down the steps from the car park to look at Lago di Tenno, its quite beautiful. Don't know if you are have an Ipad or iphone but if you do you can download Lake Garda No.1 Offline Map from the App Store. Its really a very good free map as the title suggests usable offline and you can clearly see the foothpath to Canale.

Another couple of short trips from Bardolino would be Albisano and San Zeno di Montagna both only short visit places but both with wonderful views of the lake. There is a cafe/bar in San Zeno where you can enjoy your coffee with stunning views. There are a few ways to reach these villages but we have found the easiest road (least for steepness and bends) is from Bardolino, via San Colombano, up to the traffic lights at Albare turn left and follow the signs.

Mentioned in this post
Bardolino
Bardolino
Province of Verona, Italy
London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

Thank you Tepore

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Again all of your suggestions are in my book. If you are ever in Jerez de la Frontera let me know.

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

Tepore

I had to pay 1.40 pds for the off line map of lake garda No 1 as recommended and what a find. It expands into fine detail which has most of the area I need.

I can recommend the map too.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

Hi, I think that was my mistake in thinking it was free - but as you say it is a very good detailed map and from what I have seen of it everything is very accurate. The 'nearby' tab will be using for find car parks etc. Have a great holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

There is currently a medieval festival on in montagana Castillo de San Zeno. Lots going on since 2 august. We will be there on Sunday 7 sept as there is a market on in the morning and people in costume throughout the afternoon. Looks fab. As I struggle with walking steps etc does anyone have an idea where the car parks will be. Or ant other useful info for that day.

We are counting sleep nights as this is our very special wedding anniversary and we can not wait to be in the area.

Thank you for all the information on the forum as my trip has been mainly based on advice and suggestions.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: sirmione i week but looking for a week to the west

As I mentioned San Zeno di Montagna to you earlier in this thread as a nice place to visit, I am just wondering if you are confusing this little town above the lake with Castillo de San Zeno in Montagana - apologies if I am wrong. If you are thinking of going to Montagana and the Castillo de San Zeno you would probably be better to ask your question in the Padua forum.