We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town to stay?

Moville, Ireland
Level Contributor
296 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Which town to stay?

Hi,

Im thinking of taking a 3 day trip to Lake Garda from Ireland in late august , early september. We would be flying into Milan Bergamo airport so Im wondering which town would be best to stay.

We would like to a bit of nightlife as we are in the mid 20s and would like to rent bikes, be close to some kind of beach, have great scenery and also be handy to get to from the airport.

I would love to hear recommendations from anyone with some knowledge of which towns we should look at.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town to stay?

Why are you proposing to fly via Milan for Lake Garda? I see ryanair do a service from Dublin to Verona which is much closer to Lake Garda or were you thinking about Lake Como for which Milan is the closest airport ?

Moville, Ireland
Level Contributor
296 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town to stay?

I hadnt actually looked at verona to be honest, I just assumed Milan would be the closest option with ryanair, cheers for the heads up!

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town to stay?

Peschiera del Garda is easy reachable and has the scenic 25 km long bike track starting there and leading to Mantua. At that time of the year even the small parochial villages are alive and have long nights but for more details you need to wait other answers.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town to stay?

Hi, if you can fly into Verona airport that is definitely the best option. From there you can take the shuttle bus into Verona (6 euros), then bus 62-64 which goes all the way up the eastern side of the lake.

…verona.it/atv_www/…62-64.pdf

If you stay somewhere like Bardolino or Garda most hotels offer transfers at very reasonable rates. I would also suggest you don't leave it too late to book your hotel as August is the busiest month on the lake.

Both Bardolino and Garda have excellent transport links by ferry and bus to other towns around the lake. Can't speak for Garda in the evenings, but Bardolino is a great place to be on a warm balmy evening, full of life and a friendly relaxed atmosphere.

Edited: 1:33 pm, March 14, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town to stay?

Hi, I agree with the suggestions of flying into Verona and staying at either Bardolino or Garda town. Like Bardolino, Garda has a wonderful evening atmosphere.

The town has two bike-rental offices I can think of - one is close to the bus station and the other is near the Tourist Information Office.

Most of the beaches at Lake Garda are shingle rather than sand but both Garda and Bardolino have beach areas.

In the summer months some hotels prefer only one-week bookings so you should try to find a place that will allow a shorter stay as soon as possible.

By the way, the bike track from Peschiera to Mantua is 25 MILES (40km).

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,052 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town to stay?

There is a large man-made sandy beach area along the front of the campsites 10mins walk from Lazise (southwards). It is public access.

There are also a couple of bike rental places in Lazise.

As said above your biggest problem may be accommodation (minimum 1 week often Saturday to Saturday). You may well find yourself at the more expensive end of the market.

Moville, Ireland
Level Contributor
296 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town to stay?

Thanks for the information, I will check out the ideas suggusted and see which town may suit us best! Over the last few years I have visited Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre and Trapani Sicily so would love the opportunity to do Lake Garda this summer!

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which town to stay?

Garda and Bardolino in the South both offer some decent night life. There is a nice beach in Garda also. Thomson, inghams and Crystal offer good packages including flights, transfers and accommodation. Verona airport is about 45 minutes from Garda and 90 minutes to the Northern Lake Garda resorts. In the North, Limone is lovely and has nice beach, but limited nightlife, Malcesine is bigger and perhaps better for that. Brescia airport night also be worth considering for Lake Garda as Page & Moy holidays used to use that airport. This Lake is not to be missed! Stunningly beautiful, the biggest of the Italian lakes and easily the loveliest place I've ever been in Italy (and I've seen lots of it). Be careful cycling around the lake as there are lots of blind corners and some of the driving I've seen can make your eyes water!

9. Re: Which town to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda