We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Australia to RV the rockies !!!

Cairns, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Australia to RV the rockies !!!

Hoping someone can help, please.? WE have 5 weeks ( 2 people) exploring the rocky NPs to about Aspen CO in sept/oct 2013 then heading to Utah's NP. I was hoping to hire a camper/ small RV in Canada and doing a one way trip, which is proving extremely difficult and expensive! So the current plan is hiring out of Calgary / Vancouver/C, , doing the waterton and glacier parks, returning to calgray and flying out.

Hiring RV's is confusing with expectations of Kms known and, don't operate on sundays and while google maps etc are helpful.. does anyone have any concept of possible distances travelled in and around the parks? WE can't wait to explore this fabulous part of the world, we just need others knowledge and wisdom!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,599 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Travelling from Australia to RV the rockies !!!

Ok, honestly, I'm getting a little lost as to just what you are trying to plan, but if I understand you, you are planning on flying into Calgary, renting a car and booking accommodation and touring for an unspecified length of time before flying to somewhere like Billings, Montana and touring Yellowstone, etc, and then either driving or flying to another point to tour the Grand Canyon and region. Is this right?

Ok, so working with that, here's a route to look at for the Canadian portion of the trip:

http://goo.gl/maps/lO6tM

This would take about 10 days, but you could easily spend longer. You might also want to add in more Alberta destinations depending on how much time you have for this part of your trip.

Also, I have to contradict cruiser - my information is that you CAN rent a car in one country and return in the other, but they charge you for it! Probably better to avoid it if you can.

I think, over all, given the ground you are trying to cover, doing tours out from a central point and then returned to fly on to the next leg makes the most sense to me.

Cairns, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Travelling from Australia to RV the rockies !!!

Thanks for the map and chat.

Out of Calgary we plan to do waterton and glacier NPs. then fly into USA and do the loop as you thought.

However you have provided an alternative route back to Calgray.... IF for some reason we have time on our hands - we may well shoot up to Jasper NP now that I have directions to it. Thanks very much

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Travelling from Australia to RV the rockies !!!

I love Vancouverite's route, it goes through some of my favorite spots in the Canadian Rockies. I wouldn't try to do it in less than 14 days, though, that's a lot of distance to cover. Depending on how much time you need for the US leg of your trip it could be totally doable for you. If you are pressed for time, you could cut out the Jasper component as you will need a full day to drive to Jasper and another full day to drive back from Jasper to Banff. And you would need at least 2 days in Jasper to see even a bit of the area. So, if you cut that part out you would "gain" 4 days for later in your trip.

I would really consider Vancouverite's route, as it takes you through the BC Kootenays, which is my favorite part of British Columbia, the scenery is stunning.

24. Re: Travelling from Australia to RV the rockies !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 02, 2014