We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with directions re: Chief Mountain Border

Which Waterton Lakes National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with directions re: Chief Mountain Border

Tried posting this in Montana/Glacier forum, but maybe I'd have better luck here.

We will arrive at Mountain View Inn approx. 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 15 and will spend the day/evening looking around Waterton Lakes NP and Waterton Village. The next morning we will be heading to Glacier NP (staying in East Glacier). From the map, it looks like we take hwy. 6 to Chief Mountain, but hard to tell if we have to go through Waterton NP again? And pay again just to drive through? Or is hwy. 6 outside of the park? Also, once across the border and into Glacier NP, what road/hwy would we take to get to Many Glacier? (couldn't seem to see any hwy. #'s on maps). We would like to see Many Glacier on the way to East Glacier. Replies would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Urbana, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with directions re: Chief Mountain Border

I am not an expert (I haven't even been there before--just in the planning stages myself), but from what I have read, although Highway 6 does go through the outskirts of Waterton Lakes National park (barely within the boundaries), you do not need to pay an entrance fee just to drive on that road. The actual entrance station to WL is close to the intersection of the 5 and the 6--i don't think you will have to pay unless you turn south on the 5. (see map at pc.gc.ca/eng/… )

To get to Many Glacier from Waterton Lakes, you will drive south on Chief Mountain Highway (17) until you get to the 89. Turn right onto the 89, heading towards Babb. At Babb, turn West onto Many Glacier Highway (rte 3).

Hope that helps. Maybe someone who has actually driven these roads can chime in to confirm.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with directions re: Chief Mountain Border

mt229

That's a great map; don't know how I missed it in my searches. Thank you so much; it's a great help.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
959 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with directions re: Chief Mountain Border

The roads are extremly well marked and you will have no issues. Be sure to check the border crossing hours as it is not a full service border. It is generally only open during day light hours and in the peak season only.

Dean in Canada

Western Canada
Level Contributor
959 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with directions re: Chief Mountain Border

Also, in this area it is not unusual to see hikers hitchhiking. DO NOT let anyone in your car to cross the border. It is too dangerous and if they are an illegal alien you will be responsible with severe consequences.

Dean in canada

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with directions re: Chief Mountain Border

In August the Chief Mtn border crossing will be in its full hours of operation, I think 7 am until 10 pm.

You don't go through Waterton NP to get to the border crossing. As explained previously, the highway runs adjacent to the eastern boundary of the park. The intersection is right before the road that turns into the park. It is well-marked and you will see it when you go to Waterton Park on day 1 from Mountain View.

The drive along the east side of GNP from St Mary to East Glacier is very nice - enjoy your vacation!

- CG

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with directions re: Chief Mountain Border

Thank you very much everyone. That clears things up for us - nice to know the directions ahead of time.

Dean - thanks for the heads-up. And no, sadly, we never pick up any hitchhikers anymore - just because you never know.

7. Re: Need help with directions re: Chief Mountain Border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, December 14, 2010