We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing into Canada

Elkhorn WI
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing into Canada

I am planning a trip to Glacier Natinal Park. We will be stying at St Mary's Lodge and want to drive up to the Canadian side of the park. Where do we cross? Are passports needed for day trips?

We will spent the day any suggetions what to see or where to eat?

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing into Canada

American citizens that cross the border into Canada by car do not need a passport. Please see "Know before you go":

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:C… for required ID.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing into Canada

In the summer (May 15-Sep 30), you can cross at Chief Mountain (Montana highway #17/Alberta highway #6). Otherwise, you can cross at Carway (US-89/Alberta #2).

Popular sights and activities include the Red Rock Canyon, Blakiston Falls, Cameron Lake, the Lake cruise, and the townsite. There are several good dayhikes in the park as well.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing into Canada

While you won't require a passport to enter Canada from the US as mentioned, you should enquire with US Homeland Security as to what identification you will need to re-enter the US. It is my understanding that at some point in 2008 the US will be implementing its requirement that all people entering the US (including returning American citizens) will be required to show a passport for entry or re-entry into the US. The actual implementation date for this keeps getting pushed back, due to the backlog in the US passport office. It would be prudent to check into this before you enter Canada.

The Chief Mountain crossing is open from June 1 to October 31, 7:00 am to 10:00 pm. This is the closest crossing from St Mary.

You haven't mentioned what your interests are, but if you enjoy hiking there are many choices in the park for all ability and interest levels.

The Shoreline Cruise is (IMO) better than any of the boat cruises that are offered in GNP. I have many pictures, tips on things to do, and hotel and restaurant info about Waterton on my webpage. Here is the link:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/adecc/dc729/9/

Here is the link to my GNP webpage:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/adecc/dc729/9/

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or post more questions here in the forums.

- CG

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing into Canada

>>The Chief Mountain crossing is open from June 1 to October 31, 7:00 am to 10:00 pm.<<

I'm not sure where this information is from, as it does not correspond with that on the Canadian border services website: cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/…office657-e.html

or the US border protection website:

cbp.gov/xp/…3316.xml

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing into Canada

Jerm, I found the information I posted at this link:

stmarylodgeandresort.com/Destinations_Border…

This used to correspond with the information on the Canada border crossing webpage, which has obviously changed since the last time I checked.

When I went to the government page at this link

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/…office657-e.html

I found this:

Seasonal:

9:00 to 18:00

May 15 to May 31

Seven days/week

7:00 to 22:00

June 1st to including Monday Labour Day

Seven days/week

9:00 to 18:00

Tuesday following Labour Day to September 30

Seven days/week

Closed

October 1st to May 14

So, you are most certainly correct - the crossing is open for 16 days prior to the information I had posted. Thank you for pointing that out.

- CG

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,043 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing into Canada

Hi;

As part of the budget that US President Bush signed on December 26, the law requiring American citizens to use passports at land crossings to re-enter the US, will not be implemented until June 2009 at the earliest.

Best Regards

7. Re: Crossing into Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 17, 2009