We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akamina Ridge hike in early June

Capelle aan den...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Akamina Ridge hike in early June

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Akamina Ridge hike/scramble in Waterton Lakes National Park is doable in early June?

Thanks,

Patrick

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akamina Ridge hike in early June

Hello Patrick,

I don't know the answer to your question, but there is someone who undoubtedly does. He is Calgary resident Dave Stephens. I don't know him in real life. I found his web site through an Internet search.

http://www.dave-stephens.com/

If you go to his "Scrambles" page, and then click the link to Waterton, there is information on hiking / skiing / scrambling he has done in the area, including his ascent of Akamina Ridge in JANUARY!

Come to think of it, I wonder if Dave is the right person to ask after all. He probably thinks anything is possible. :-)

Just kidding. Seriously, I bet if you e-mail Dave at the address that he provides on his web site, he'll be happy to share his knowledge.

Hope that helps.

Capelle aan den...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akamina Ridge hike in early June

Hi Judy,

Thanks for providing that link. I see what you mean, the guy did the hike in January and skied down afterwards. From what local people have told me hiking in snow is something you don't want to be doing up there.

Thanks,

Patrick

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Akamina Ridge hike in early June

I wouldn't count on it. There's still plenty of snow in the mountains, especially at higher elevations. There was some lingering snow on the Carthew-Alderson trail in early September!

Also check the trail report:

www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp…

Currently, the report for Wall Lake/Forum Lake says that there is snow at higher elevations. You could try calling the park office for more information--there is a phone number on the trail report page.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Akamina Ridge hike in early June

I was in Waterton this weekend, and it looked like there is still a lot of snow on Akamina Ridge. Lots of the lower-elevation hikes are in good shape though, with nice displays of wildflowers.

Capelle aan den...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akamina Ridge hike in early June

Thanks for the update! I'm flying to Calgary on Thursday en will see what hike are doable this early in season.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Akamina Ridge hike in early June

You should be able to find plenty of doable trails; I've been hiking almost every weekend for a couple of months now. It's been a bit wet, muddy, and snowy sometimes though! If you let me know what areas you're planning to visit and your ability, I could probably give you some suggestions.

Capelle aan den...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akamina Ridge hike in early June

This will be a week visit, primarily in the Waterton area. I'm a pretty good hiker and prefer the longer day hikes. Last time I was in Waterton, September, if was not possible to do Akamina Ridge because of the weather so this hike is high on my priority list. But if there is too much snow any other (to to well known) trail suggestion is appreciated.

Capelle aan den...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akamina Ridge hike in early June

This will be a week visit, primarily in the Waterton area. I'm a pretty good hiker and prefer the longer day hikes. Last time I was in Waterton, September, if was not possible to do Akamina Ridge because of the weather so this hike is high on my priority list. But if there is too much snow any other (not to well known) trail suggestion is appreciated.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Akamina Ridge hike in early June

Akamina Ridge is near the top of my to-do list as well. It sounds like you're familiar with the area, so my information may not be much help to you.

We hiked Lineham Creek/falls, which is a short hike with some nice views and some flowery meadows. It was in in good shape with only a couple of small snow patches.

The trail to Goat Lake was mostly snow-free except for the last 500m or so. The lake was mostly frozen and there was still a lot of snow around it, which impeded exploration of the area. The hike up to the lake is probably nicer than the lake anyway. There were signs of bear activity along the first 4km.

The Rowe Lakes and meadow are quite nice and should be mostly snow-free. Unfortunately, the hike up Lineham Ridge from there will likely be too snowy at this time of year. (It's a fairly long, steep, hot climb to the top, but a great view when you get there.)

I'm sure you're familiar with the Bertha Lake and Lakeshore trails.

You could also check out Wall and/or Forum Lakes and survey Akamina Ridge for your next visit!

Have a great trip, and enjoy your hikes!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Akamina Ridge hike in early June

How was the hiking? I hope it wasn't too wet for you!