We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation on Galiano Island

Edmonton, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodation on Galiano Island

We (29F, 37M) are heading to Galiano for the weekend before July long. Just wondering what location is the best to stay at - we love trying new food (so somewhere along a food strip) and close to the beach would be ideal. I realize it's a small island and not the food capital but it'll be nice to have some nightlife.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation on Galiano Island

Galiano's a rural island. No food strip, no nightlife. There are a few restaurants scattered by Sturdies Bay. Montague Harbour has the beach. Nightlife might be the Hummingbird Pub. People typically go to Galiano to make their own food and nightlife.

Edited: 8:35 pm, May 15, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
22,764 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation on Galiano Island

I had a chuckle when I read this - I don't think I've ever seen the word "nightlife" used in reference to one of the Gulf Islands.

You might want to look at Saltspring instead....I'm not sure there's really "nightlife" there either, but its a bit more developed than Galiano.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,269 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation on Galiano Island

I think even Bowen might have more " nightlife"

Edmonton, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation on Galiano Island

Thank you all for the feedback.

Salt Spring Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation on Galiano Island

Hi, Galiano is a spectacular island destination: so close to Vancouver but you'll think you're in the wilderness (with a good share of creature comforts, though). I thought I could add a bit more information, in answer to your questions and others' comments ... especially since there "is" a food strip, albeit small, but it is all quite delicious and new things to try

"What location is the best to stay at that is somewhere along a food strip and close to the beach" You should stay at the south end, especially if you are planning on doing lots of walking and want access to shops and little restaurants in the Village which is in Sturdies Bay (near the ferry).

"Where to stay"? The Galiano Inn and Spa is a boutique inn resort on a casual but very special style. To answer your choices: it's on a beach, is oceanfront and has restaurants and patio, as well as being close to the Village's little cafes. The Driftwood Village Cottage Resort is also in the south end, with more rustic cottages, not on the water, but close by. There are also b and b's nearby like Salish Sea B and B (on the water).

"we love trying new food (so somewhere along a food strip)". The Village has several options: "eat@Galiano Inn" Restaurant for evenings, plus Wood-fired pizza on the oceanfront terrace in the Inn's gardens for lunch, the Bakery (breakfast, lunch, lattes), Scoops (burgers, fish and chips, wraps, ice creams), Grand Central Grill (breakfast, lunch, some evenings they have Open Mike night).

Also open nearby (3 km from the Village) is the Hummingbird Pub, the Daystar Latte and Juice bar. The Marina has a new "Sea Blush Cafe" and the Berengerie is nearby, plus there is lighter fare at Max and Moritz take-out and the Golf Course.

"I realize it's a small island and not the food capital but it'll be nice to have some nightlife": I will agree with one poster that there is not a lot of nightlife: but the Galiano Inn is open every evening (restaurant has won awards; their day-time wood-fired pizza is the best anywhere), the Berengerie is open most evenings (french country food), the Marina (new menu and new style this year) and the old favourite hangout of the Pub has music many nights. And the other restaurants mentioned all have their loyal following and specialities (the Bakery has Nettle Tea and great Cinny buns; the Grand Central's bennies are awesome, and Max and Moritz has Bratwurst and Nasi Goreng).

Edmonton, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation on Galiano Island

Wonderful, thanks for the insightful details, appreciate it!

Reply to: Accommodation on Galiano Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galiano Island