We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the BEST time to see whales?

Which Port Hardy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
When is the BEST time to see whales?

We are planning to visit Port Hardy this summer and would like to plan our trip to include a whale watching tour. When is the best time to see whales?

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,175 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the BEST time to see whales?

The resident killer whales come in from the open ocean to feed in the inland waters during the summer. I don't think there is a significant difference when in the summer you come, but going out in good weather is always going to be better, so I think probably after mid-July improves your chances of a nice day, and then things typically deteriorate in the middle of September.

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the BEST time to see whales?

Thank you very much for your reply. Mid July is doable for our vacation so we will plan for that time.

Looking forward to seeing Port Hardy.. :)

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the BEST time to see whales?

If it's the town of Port Hardy you're looking forward to seeing you're in a for a disappointment it's a run down blue collar end-of-nowhere kind of a place not in any way attractive-however the surrounding countryside is full of attractions for those interested in the outdoors.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the BEST time to see whales?

Are you taking the ferry to/from Prince Rupert? Is that why you're in PH?

Here's a page from Jamies whale watching in Tofino that explains the presence of whales off West Coast VI quite well:

www.jamies.com/site/whale-watching.html

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is the BEST time to see whales?

We are flying into Victoria and renting an SUV. We plan to spend 10 days travelling the island. Port Hardy will be two day stay for us... With one day whale watching and hope to do one day fishing.

Thanks for the web link...it's great information.

Sam... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I'm guessing that for someone who has never been to PH, we'll find it much more interesting than you can imagine. I do appreciate your reply though.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,175 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is the BEST time to see whales?

LOL. You can count on Sam for some strong opinions. You don't have to agree. :)

I think Port Hardy is similar to a lot of the non-touristy towns in BC - authentic and basic. There's value in that. And yes, its a good base for seeing the range of sights in the north. Its very beautiful around there.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When is the BEST time to see whales?

People from Saskatchewan often say that Port Hardy reminds them of 'LaRonge on the ocean' except it's rougher around the edges.

Sunrise over the Coast Mountains on the mainland is worth getting out of bed for that's for sure.

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: When is the BEST time to see whales?

For whale watching on Northern Vancouver Island you will want to join a tour from either Port McNeill (30 minutes south of Port Hardy) or Telegraph Cove (about 50 minutes south).

During June you will likely see humpback whales, porpoises, dolphins, seals, sea lions, eagles, and sea birds. Sightings of Minke whales are a possibility. Sightings of both the resident (fish eating) and BIggs/transient (marine mammal eating) orcas are possible but much much less reliable than later in the summer.

For the best chance of seeing orcas I suggest waiting until mid-July.

Mid-July to mid-August is often is the busiest time with lots of wildlife seen and our best weather.

If you are flexible in your dates I suggest waiting until late August to mid-September. This is usually when we have the greatest number of different species of wildlife in the area and in the highest numbers and the weather usually holds on the north end of the island until late September (but the days do get shorter as the month progresses).

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When is the BEST time to see whales?

Mid July is our target time! I will check the areas suggested for tours, thank you for the advise Kingfisher. Do you have any suggestions for a good fishing contact? We would also love to do a day fishing as well.

Sam it's great to hear people compare PH to La Ronge.... We love that area of Northern SK and spend a lot of time there in the summer fishing and the winter snowmobiling. Although this winter has been brutally cold so we haven't been out as much as usual.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When is the BEST time to see whales?

for fishing contact www.bearcovecottages.ca if they cant accommodate you they will put you onto someone that can