We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Hardy to Telegraph Cove - Car types.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Port Hardy to Telegraph Cove - Car types.....

Hi there,

I am planning a trip from Vancouver on the ferry to Port Hardy and Telegraph Cove. We are renting a car and I am wondering if we will need a 4x4 or if the roads are all paved and a normal rental car will be ok?

Any advice welcome! We have had issues in the past when haven't had a 4x4 and needed one so thought it best to ask!!

Thanks everyone :-)

3 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Hardy to Telegraph Cove - Car types.....

Just wondering, if you are renting a car, why not ferry to Nanaimo and drive up the island to Telegraph cove and Port Hardy? Lots of seaside opportunities with towns and beaches. From Telegraph cove, you can do a kayak or boat trip to watch orcas. Personally, I wouldn't want to observe the island from a ferry, I'd rather experience it by exploring little towns and stopping for ice-cream, lunches, markets, beach walks and overnight stays in one of the many places between Nanaimo and Port Hardy.

You don't need a 4x4. Roads are paved.

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Hardy to Telegraph Cove - Car types.....

There is no ferry between Vancouver and Port Hardy. The ferries to and from Port Hardy are for the central and north coasts of BC. Prince Rupert and Bella Coola being the only road accessible locations to board the ferry.

From Vancouver you take the ferry to southern Vancouver Island, either Nanaimo or Victoria. The roads form these locations to the north end of the island are all well maintained paved highways. The smaller road into Telegraph Cove is also paved. No 4X4 needed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Hardy to Telegraph Cove - Car types.....

Thanks both. Sorry yes I meant getting the BC ferry to Nanaimo and driving to port hardy. Perfect though if roads are all paved.

Looking forward to an awesome trip!!

Thanks again :)

Reply to: Port Hardy to Telegraph Cove - Car types.....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted