We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

East Mids, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

I'm trying to advance purchase tickets from Port Hardy to Nanaimo on 'will call' basis as I see there are restrictions on international purchases by mail or phone. Transaction fails each time but no reason given. I've checked the credit card mailing address, number etc. carefully. Earlier (now closed) forum said that international cards were not accepted on .ca, but website says they ARE for 'will call' purchase.

Earlier forum also suggested trying the .com website rather than .ca and I have, but .com denies that the schedule exists!

Have emailed Greyhound customer services, but no reply. Can anyone advise? I would like to buy in advance for the advance discount and, more important, to be sure of getting tickets on this service as we're tied to other bookings (hotel/flights) etc on this trip, and it's a busy time of year.

thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,600 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

I just phoned Greyhound and asked, the staff person says that they are experiencing technical difficulties and to "bear with us for 20 minutes." The time stamp for my post will be about 4:30 pm so I'm not sure if you have just tried greyhound or if you are talking about trying yesterday or ?. Anyway, that's what they said. The staff person assured me that overseas visitors are definitely able to purchase will call tickets from home. Perhaps try again later. Others may be along with personal experience for you.

Actually, for Greyhound tickets, the blue collar work horse of transportation around here, people just walk up to buy their tickets a day or so ahead. But I cannot speak for Pt Hardy departures.

greyhound.ca is Canada. greyhound.com is USA and will not recognize Cdn schedules.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

That is dedication to finding help!

East Mids, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

thank you so much. I will try again. Have tried in the past and last time it would't accept a UK post code as valid. Strange thing about the .com US site is the predictive text recognises Pt Hardy and Nanaimo BC names on the trip planner but then goes into "computer says no" mode.

It's mildly reassuring to find that you have some of the same technical frustrations as us: we always think everying in north America is going to be 10 times better and faster than UK.

This is the first time I've used Tripadvisor forums and great to find such knowledgeable and helpful advice.

East Mids, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

no, just tried again at midnight UK time and same problem. I don't want to try again in case I get multiple charges to my credit card - which happened with our BC Ferries online booking when there was a technical problem (even tho they assured us it wouldn't).

Oviedo, Spain
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

Hi JanWB

I did purchase a ticket on "will call" basis to Port Alberni a couple of weeks ago from Spain and had no problems.

If there's a problem with the UK post, try tipyng 5 numbers and it probably works.

East Mids, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

No reply from Greyhound Customer Services to 2 emails but on a hunch I just experimented with different departure points (Victoria and Nanaimo) and 'Will Call' is offered as an option for both. So I think, for some reason, they just don't offer 'Will Call' basis from Port Hardy. Don't really know what else to try now: they don't take international credit cards for other types of purchase (and, anyway, too late to get tickets posted to UK before we leave) so will just have to take a risk that we can get on the bus on the day (and pay full rate).

Why would it be so difficult? I know Port Hardy is a small town. We are so used to making online bookings and printing off tickets/boarding passes at home, it never crossed my mind that a big outfit like Greyhound wouldn't be able to do it.

Any other ways to get from Port Hardy to Nanaimo at a reasonable price?

thank you forum members who have offered suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,600 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

Well Jan, I'm wondering what else is in your itinerary. I suspect you are arriving on the ferry from Prince Rupert? Will you be in BC ahead of this Port Hardy arrival? If so, you could walk in to any Greyhound bus depot/office once you are here and buy your ticket over the counter.

Port Hardy is a small town with just ±5000 people. Greyhound probably doesn't need a reservation system there. There may be always room on the bus. I don't have any idea how many people choose Greyhound to depart PH, many have cars of their own and some will rent cars.

Unfortunately Island Link Bus does not travel that far north. You could do a car rental.

What you could do is PM kingfisherkayaking who is located in the PH - Telegraph Cove area. Probably use the BC Forum for its search bar. Click on his user name in the list of threads and then send a message about how difficult is it to buy tix last minute for the bus in PH.

Hope this helps.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

Hi JanWB,

Welcome to the PORT HARDY TRAVEL FORUM.

As one of the few Canadian Advisors that post country-wide... I have a sneaking suspicion that an issue similar to this has come up in the past in the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUMS... let me do a bit of digging and see if I can't find that post (or the person who knows the reason why this happens on-line with Greyhound).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,745 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

The advantage of buying tickets in advance on Greyhound is that they are cheaper a few weeks in advance (21 days in advance is cheapest, then 14, then 7). Also, the bus is probably a lot busier after the ferry gets in; in the summer high season, I would not want to chance not having a seat reserved.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Online purchase of Greyhound ticket from abroad - possible?

Hi JanWB,

Well I didn’t find the exact post from within the last year I was remembering… I used – Greyhound Website Ticket – as my keyword(s) in the CANADA TRAVEL FORUM… but it is always possible that the post I am thinking of used other wording, or spelled something incorrectly.

BUT I did find these 3 (although older posts) that cover off the same issue… and interestingly the first one is from back in March 2007 in the NANAIMO TRAVEL FORUM, with a Traveller having a similar issue as yourself connecting with Port Hardy… and the remaining 2 are from the ONTARIO & TORONTO TRAVEL FORUMS and talk a bit more about the problems of booking Greyhound Tickets on-line from overseas…

NANAIMO – Booking with Greyhound (March 2007)

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154935-i1422-k1076…

ONTARIO - International Customers for Greyhound (Sept 2007)

tripadvisor.ca/…8747140

TORONTO – Greyhound Canada Toronto Help Needed (Sept 2005)

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k283900…

Looks like others gave up and just made a phone call.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 7:07 pm, June 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Port Hardy