We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on places to stay

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on places to stay

Like most people I'm coming off BC Ferries and need a place to stay in Port hardy, atm I'm booked in the Pioneer Inn reviews seemed to be fairly positive after new management took over. Also its rather far from Port Hardy its self, but closer to the fairy terminal - how does one get fro m the Ferry Terminal to hotels in general? Cabs? or do the hotels offer there own transport? Would it be better to stay somewhere in town? The next day I'm taking a bus or plane to Victoria (haven't decided which yet..)

Also is the bus ride scenic enough to make it worth it as greyhound quotes it as 9 hours?

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on places to stay

Quarterdeck Inn is the best place to stay in town.

www.quarterdeckresort.net

You couldnt pay me to take a 9 hr bus ride,but thats me.The scenery isnt worth it either IMO

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,315 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on places to stay

We stayed at the Quarterdeck in early March. The main reason we booked it (from Prince Rupert the day before) was because our ferry was delayed and we knew we would be arriving sometime in the night. Some of the other hotels/motels we called did not have their office open past 11 p.m.

It was ok (the room was very clean), but I thought it was overpriced for what we got. Our room was huge, but hardly had any furniture in it. Standard motel décor. No free internet (which I expected, at their rates). Their lobby area and elevator reek of cigarette smoke. The poor front desk clerk was also responsible for stocking and cleaning up the continental breakfast, which meant waiting to check out. (We were there on a busy weekend and there was a hockey tournament going on, lots of kids running around). I was surprised to see her hand-washing the breakfast dishes right there in the lobby - I would have thought health regulations would require something a little more stringent. (In Alberta, in the absence of a commercial grade dishwasher, they're required to do the three-sink washing method, with the middle step being a bleach or other disinfectant rinse.)

There was a shuttle (a school bus) that met us at the ferry to take us into town. I don't remember exactly how much it cost.... something like $6 apiece (?). Our ferry was 15 hours late and did not arrive until 4 am, but the shuttle was there (we were relieved!). Because so much of their visitation is tied to the ferries, I guess they are used to these kinds of disuptions and take it in stride.

We took a cab in the morning to the airport to pick up a rental car - it was $13. There was a nice, chatty, older lady driving it.

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on places to stay

The best places in Port Hardy to stay are the Glen Lyon or Quaterdeck Inns. I think the price is a bit high though at least for the Quaterdeck Inn. I dont really want to pay that much coming off the ferry for a hotel room for only 8 hour stay. I will be coming off the ferry from Rupert in June and the two best hotels in Rupert are full that night. What are the next best motels in Hardy. Is the Pioneer Inn, Thunderbird Inn or Seagate Motels any good??? Surpised the Airport Inn is full too.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on places to stay

Phone the C of C and ask about B&B options-you'll be able to walk to wherever the closest stop for the shuttle is-it's less than $10 for a ride out to Bear Bay.

Adelaide SA
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on places to stay

We did that ferry trip last June, and although the scenery was magnificent, as previous posts point out, you don't book the seat on the ferry - first come first serve and we were lucky enough to be first on board and chose a recliner comfortable seat near the window. Unfortunately you have to guard it with your life and if you leave that seat, someone else will grab it. They in fact make announcements on the ferry about not leaving things on the seat - and asking people to "move around" to another seat. It's a pretty free for all, and there were a few good arguments on board when others just threw people's stuff off the seats and sat down for a nap or whatever.

Also, the arrival in Pt Hardy was a shambles, which I did write to the ferry service and complain about. When you say "cabs" - remember Pt Hardy is only small and there are only two cabs in the town we were told. They did arrange for that old (and I mean old - something like out of the wild west - bus to ferry people to Pt Hardy (it is a long way), but there was not enough room and bedlam prevailed with everyone trying to throw luggage on this tiny old bus and scrabbling for a seat, and dozens of people were left stranded. Also, the crew pre-book the only taxis there, but we were just fortunate enough once again to be in the right place, and when the crew member hadn't showed, the taxi driver felt so sorry for us that he drove us in, and then was going back to get some of the others. It was total chaos, just what you feel like at 1 a.m. and you are tired and jaded. The trip was fantastic, magnificent scenery but it is a long day, particularly when ferry can be late as well.

We stayed at Thunderbird Inn, which was pretty basic, but clean, quite big, not bad bathroom, but let's face it, we got there about 2 a.m. and had to get up at 7 a.m. to go and catch the bus, so it was only for a 5 hour sleep, so we wanted somewhere cheap. As it turned out, it was in a good spot as it was only a short walk down to the main street where the bus left from next morning, no problems to walk there wheeling our luggage. The people there were very patient with dozens of people trying to book in at that hour in the morning too.

I disagree with previus post re no scenery. We were tired next day and tried not to doze as we thought the scenery was great. Fantastic way to see some of the towns and landscape, and although it was a long day, the bus did stop at times and we enjoyed it.

Victoria on Vancouver Island is just magnificent - could have stayed there so much longer (had 5 nights) - such an ambience and such a pretty harbour. You will love it! Have great trip.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on places to stay

Note that while the previous respondent thinks it's a 'long way' from the BC Ferries terminal to Port Hardy it's about 10 minutes driving time.

Van Isle
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on places to stay

First off, will5404, Everything in Port Hardy is 5 mins away from eachother. The Pioneer Inn? Not that great honestly. Check out the Chambers web at http://www.ph-chamber.bc.ca/ for additional places to stay (they also rate hotels and B&B's). Seagate or North Shore should be avoided if possible. T-bird or Port Hardy Inn are nothing fancy but usually clean if Quarterdeck Inn and Glen Lyon Inn are unavalable. Almost all hotels are booked solid over summer months as the ferry is basically every second day so book ahead. Although hotels do not have their own shuttles, and taxis are at a premium (between 1-4 on any given night between 2 companies) there is a large "bus/shuttle" which will drop you off at your hotel of choice. Ferry terminal is only 10 kms from town (Pioneer is 7kms from ferry). For the "thrifty" backpack traveller there is also a new hostle at very reasonable rates..... and with respect to your travels the following day.... all flights go through Vancouver (no direct to Victoria) and the bus trip is at least 9 hours including a multitude of stops and at least one transfer... have fun with that.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on places to stay

Thanks for the advice, well at least I have a reservation at the Pioneer if all else fails but am seeking some accomidations at the places you suggested if there available. Think I'll probably end up taking the bus as its only $79, get to see a bit more of the island that way and don't have to bother with the usual hassles of airport security.

9. Re: Advice on places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 31, 2009