We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May too cold?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
May too cold?

We are thinking about coming to Haida Gwaii and doing a 4 day Zodiac tour in mid-late May. I've checked historical temps and the average high in May has been around 10C . I'm thinking this would be too cold to be travelling around in a boat. Should I wait until another time when we are able to come in the summer?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May too cold?

Don't wait. You should be in a cruiser suit and that will be warm enough. Mid summer won't feel much warmer on the water.

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: May too cold?

May should be a great time for wildlife in Haida Gwaii. I am on the zodiac a few times each summer with Moresby Explorer and when they tell you to wear all your clothes under the gear they supply , do it, and you will be fine.

Even in summer with the zodiac zipping along at 30 Knots it can get chilly if you are not dressed properly. Bring the clothes they suggest, don't second guess them, and you will do fine.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May too cold?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May too cold?

We spent 3 weeks in our truck camping and enjoying Haida Gwaii one August. We wore long johns and rain gear all but 3 days. It was rainy pretty much the whole time - in August.

It is a beautiful experience, just be prepared, take lots of warm clothes and fleece. You will never forget this special place!

5. Re: May too cold?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 10, 2014