We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for five nights on Haida Gwaii

Seattle
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay for five nights on Haida Gwaii

We'll be coming by ferry the second week of August., Bringing our car but not enough money for one of the $2,000 (or even $1,400) tour land/water adventure packages. So we're guessing that puts Gwaii Haaas out of reach for this trip but it seems there is much more to explore.

We are two couples in our 50's. Active and interested in hikes, beach hanging, history/culture.

#1) Where would anyone suggest we stay for our "base"? What city and/or what specific lodging.

#2) Suggestions for an itinerary?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for five nights on Haida Gwaii

There are so many beautiful things to see on the North Island! My father grew up there and I used to do locums in Massett. Gwaii Haanas is stunning but the North Island is also beautiful and easily accessible. Depending on what dates you are there, they will be raising a totem pole in Gwaii Haanas to celebrate 25 years of the park agreement and it is being carved in Skidegate to be raised on August 15 so there may be events around that in town.

When I was in Massett I loved staying at the Alaskaview Lodge B&B. The lovely couple who used to run it are long retired and it looks like it has been picked up by Langara Lodges (who I hear good things about) but the location is fantastic and it is a short hop into Massett and out to Tow Hill/Agate Beach.

There are many lovely walks/hikes for all levels all over the islands. Stop in at the visitor center in Queen Charlotte City. I am sure there is a good map/guide book. The Haida Gwaii Museum looks gorgeous. When I was last there the museum was a small affair in Skidegate but had a fantastic collection, particularly if you are interested in argellite carving. It is now a huge cultural centre with all sorts of good things on offer from what I can see on line. Paddling can also be nice in the islands, just don't get too far out if you are on your own and not experienced as the water can come up nasty and fast, even on a gorgeous day.

As for an itinerary and a base of operations I would suggest doing a whole lot of googling and looking around on line ahead of time to get general ideas then head over and check out the visitor centre, and anywhere else to see what is happening (I often look at notice boards in the grocery or the Legion). So much of the awesome stuff won't wind up on line, music, arts, cultural events. Wander around, chat with people, if something looks interesting stop by it probably is :)

If you are staying on the North Island, Essentially you can base in any of the three areas... Queen Charlotte City/Skidegate on the South End, Tlell/Port Clements in the middle, or Massett on the North End. It is only about a 2 hour drive from Massett to Queen Charlotte so you can go up and down the island easily.

I had a quick google and this looks like a pretty good site operated by some of the destination marketers (lots of pretty pictures too) http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/

and there is the tourism BC site as well

hellobc.com/haida-gwaii-queen-charlotte-isla…

Have a wonderful time planning and doing your trip! It has been a long time since I was back in the islands... now I am thinking it is time for another visit.

I think trip advisor has a message function of some sort. If you have specific questions either add them in a response or message me and I will do my best to help (although no guarantees, it has been a while since I was there).

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for five nights on Haida Gwaii

If you are planning to base yourself in one community for the entire trip then Queen Charlotte City is the most central allowing you to explore both South Moresby and Graham Islands. A day trip from here to the very north of Graham Island is possible but I personally would choose to stay somewhere like North Beach Cabins http://www.northbeachcabins.com/ for a couple of nights too.

On August 15 there is a pole raising at Windy Bay in Gwaii Haanas National Park, This is the first pole raised in the park in 130 years. Moresby Explorers is offering a day trip by zodiac for the pole raising and I think a 2 day tour as well - might have to call or email them about it as it is not listed on their website http://www.moresbyexplorers.com/ , On August 17 there is a community celebration planned in Skidegate for the pole raising - everyone welcome.

The local tourism website is http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/

Edit: Auntbeast typed faster than me

Edited: 2:12 am, March 01, 2013
Seattle
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for five nights on Haida Gwaii

And you both type faster than me! Thanks for the fast and helpul replies. We are looking forward to the trip and to the planning process as well! And we'll no doubt have more questions as we go.

For example:

Anyone know anything about staying at Haida House in Tlell?

And a good/better place to stay in Queen Charlotte City? I'm going back to explore the web sites once more wuth this specific location in mind.

Thanks again

Queen Charlotte...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for five nights on Haida Gwaii

August 9/10/11 is also the Edge of the World Music Festival in Tlell, which is the largest event of the year on the Islands, so accommodations in Tlell tend to book up quickly that weekend. It is a 3 day event that is alcohol/drug free with great line ups of musicians from all over the world. Lots of food/clothing/craft/etc booths as well. To keep in budget, Moresby Explorers do offer day trips that are around $215 per person.

If you're looking for more detailed info on suggested things to do/see, contact one of the local visitor centres that can help you plan your trip and will and send you all kinds of helpful info including maps, guide books, and etc. You can check out the guidebook online as well at www.guidetohaidagwaii.com

5. Re: Where to stay for five nights on Haida Gwaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, May 10, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Haida Gwaii (Queen...