We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you been to Anthony Island?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
152 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Have you been to Anthony Island?

We are planning a trip to the Charlottes in August and would really like to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site on Anthony Island. We are flying into Sandspit and ideally would like to fly directly from Sandspit to Anthony Island on a daytrip. We realise Anthony Island is quite remote and also quite far from Sandspit. WE understand that we'll probably have to fly down on a seaplane. Please advise on how to get there & we'd love to hear about your experience. Thanks a lot!

Kat

9 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,257 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you been to Anthony Island?

Here are a link for information for getting to/from Gwaii Haanas (Anthony Island) with plenty of information for visiting:

pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/gwaiihaanas/visit.aspx

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you been to Anthony Island?

<<WE understand that we'll probably have to fly down on a seaplane. Please advise on how to get there>>

You realise you've answered your own question?

A 10 minute taxi ride from Sandspit to nearby Alliford Bay jump aboard your uber-expensive seaplane and away you go!

Of course you'll have to pay for the plane to wait-or to return later in the day.

My guess is that after getting quotes from Inland Air Charters and North Pacific Seaplanes you'll reconsider, day trips just aren't practical.

My suggestion is if you don't have time then book a Zodiac or Kayak tour out of Sandspit or Charlotte City for a few days and come back to do a proper multi-day trip to points south by mother ship in future.

The Best part of QCI is on the water-if you're stuck on land in a place like Anthony Island you're missing a lot.

http://www.inlandair.bc.ca/

http://www.northpacificseaplanes.com/

One thought-the seaplane company might rent kayaks-for a couple hundred more they could strap them on the flats so you could have some on-water conveyance.

Edited: 12:37 am, May 31, 2010
Vancouver
Level Contributor
152 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you been to Anthony Island?

We'll be in the Charlottes for a couple of weeks and think we'll have enough time to camp on the north island & also check out the southern islands. My question really is, what other ways can we see Anthony Island rather than chartering a private plane for mega-bucks? I've done a little research & the cost of taking a float plane is expensive & not so practical.

Going by boat is starting to appeal to us now & I imagine that touring this area on a boat will be incredible. I quess I really want to hear of other people's experiences for example, what tour did you take? how long was the trip? did you enjoy it? I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Thanks a lot for your comments & also the Parks Canada link. I now have a great list of licensed tour operators in the Charlottes to check out.

KAT.

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you been to Anthony Island?

A float plane is really the only way to do it in one day but you will be paying a fortune.

The next shortest trip would be with Moresby Explorers as they offer a 4 day zodiac tour that stays at their floating cabin and at the Rose Harbour Guest House. http://moresbyexplorers.com/4day.rhtml

If you have longer and want to camp you could consider an 8 day kayaking trip kingfisher.ca/queen_charlotte_islands_sea_ka… or tofino.com/Queen_Charlotte_kayaking.htm

As SamSalmon stated the best part of the islands is on the water (or camped right next to it) and in Gwaii Haanas there are some fantastic areas to see. Some well publicized like Burnaby Narrows and Anthony Island and some much less known and some you can only experience by being immersed in it for days

I am biased on what I consider the best way to see the area (I own one of the above kayak companies) but whatever you choose remember you are in an extremely remote wilderness area and to bring appropriate clothing and attitude for the conditions and realize that the rain and fog are what drives this amazing rainforest. That being said last year we did an 8 day trip here with nothing bur sunshine and no wind - definitely an exception to the rule).

Queen Charlotte...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you been to Anthony Island?

I guess I missed this posting, but I still feel the need to get some more info out there!

There is a shorter trip with Moresby Explorers, 2.5 days that will take you to Anthony Island. You'll also get to stop off at Skedans (still standing totems there as well), Tanu, Hotspring Island (yes you guessed it, there's gorgeous hot springs there!), and Burnaby Narrows, not to mention all the wildlife and scenery while you're out as well.

Also, with Inland Air, their 2010 pricing for Ninstints was $2500 for the plane, which can take up to 6 people, which is quite reasonable for a 6 hour float plane trip, where you land and get to visit the Heritage Site.

While Gwaii Haanas is a must see if you have the time and $$, there are still PLENTY of activities and things to do on land if you enjoy the outdoors, or if you're looking to soak up some culture. From hiking up Sleeping Beauty Mountain, strolling out to the Pesuta Shipwreck, visiting the Haida Heritage Centre, stopping in at local shops, galleries, and restaurants, walking through Old Growth Forests, checking out the numerous gorgeous sandy beachs, Tow Hill and Bonanza to name a couple, swimming in Yakoun lake, and much much more!

So yes, the Ocean is of course a gorgeous place and to definitely get out on the water if you can, but if you can't, there are still a ton of activities and outdoor adventures, and places to explore on Haida Gwaii.

Edited: 3:52 pm, November 20, 2010
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you been to Anthony Island?

Do you know anything about the cabins at North Beach, thinking of staying up the North end of the island for 5 days in July 2011. Their website doesn't have that many pictures of their cabins North Beach Cabins. Thanks for any info

Sherrie

passingwindsestate@gmail.com

passingwindsestate@gmail.com

7. Re: Have you been to Anthony Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, December 22, 2013

8. Re: Have you been to Anthony Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:50 am, December 23, 2013
Edited: 2:50 am, December 23, 2013

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have you been to Anthony Island?

Nothing to see here, stale thread, keep moving...

Reply to: Have you been to Anthony Island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Haida Gwaii (Queen...