We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

still a nature paradise?

ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
still a nature paradise?

I found an article on the Queen Charlotte Islands in a twenty year old magazine, which fascinated me.

I will be travelling to Alaska soon and on my way, I would like to see the Queen Charlottes.

Now I'm wondering, is it still that untouched Nature Paradise or has it changed a lot?

Which trips can you recommend and how many days would you plan to spend there?

Thanks for your help.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
204 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: still a nature paradise?

"The Queen Charlotte Islands have no fast food restaurants, no cell phone service and just one traffic light, so they constitute a peaceful escape in and of themselves." from Hello BC's tourism site.

Mass tourism hasn't found Gwaii Haanas. I haven't been but it's on my wish list.

I have a couple of guide books on the Islands and it sounds like you'd find peace, quiet, gorgeous forests, amazing kayaking, boating, hiking, and of course the First Nation sites.

It will be interesting if you receive any posts from people who have been - I don't think I've ever seen a post on these boards.

If you go, please post a trip report.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: still a nature paradise?

Been many times and yes it's still rural BC.

Not easy of access, expensive to travel in but well worth exploring-especially if you spend most of your time on the water.

ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: still a nature paradise?

Thanks for the encouragement, BowenLinda. Will do my best in sharig my experiences with you.

SamSalmon,please tell me more about the Queen Charlottes.

Which ferry do I have to take? How expensive is it?

Is there any place I can stay for a reasonable price?

And most of all, how can I explore the islands by water? That's what fascinated me most in that article I read.

That article also wrote about an increasing industrial deforestation in partsof the islands. Is that still the case?

I would very much appreciate your advice.

ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: still a nature paradise?

I just had a look at what the Canada website has on the Queen Charlottes. What a magical place!

Is most of the population Haidan then? It would be great if there were any activities with which I could learn more about their culture.

Do you know if there is a possibility of participating in an totem carving workshop? I would be very much interested in that.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: still a nature paradise?

www.bcferries.com

IME the Haida are a somewhat lugubrious lot especially the older people, you can try and contact the Band Office and see if they respond.

You should know that much of QCI has been heavily logged over the years and while it is still green from all the rain it's been decades since it was an 'untouched nature paradise', that applies to much of BC as well.

That's whay I recommend people take a kayaking tour or charter a sportfishing boat for at least a few days to see the incredible richness the sea still holds.

ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: still a nature paradise?

Yeah, I guessed it would be like that. BUt do you think it is still a special place?

And which tours would you recommend?

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I will be there the end of April/start of May. How cold is it then? Is a kayaking trip advisable at all at this time of year?

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: still a nature paradise?

At that time of year it's too cold for all but the hardiest to venture out on the ocean, you could still do day trips to places like Naikoon and Rose Spit-in fact that's all you can do I doubt any tour companies are operating that early in the season.

ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: still a nature paradise?

Well, you know, before I miss out on the water trip, I rather see, if I can do the QCI on my way back down, which would be in summer.

BC
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: still a nature paradise?

Check out these websites for local QCI info:

http://www.qcinfo.ca/index.html

http://www.qciobserver.com/

http://www.haidaheritagecentre.com/

Yes it is definitely worth the trip if you love nature and the outdoors. Summer is the best time as there are more activities and facilities available to tourists. Kayaking in the winter is not advised unless you are highly experienced in coastal weather and outdoor survival. I recommend going with a local guide. Queen Charlottes are part of modern civilization and therefore not "untouched" as local residents here must make a living - however, it maintains a unique coastal small town feel with good access to lots of wilderness adventure and cultural experience.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: still a nature paradise?

Visited July 28 to August 4, 2009. Sunny and dry all week. Air temperatures in mid-twenties all week with a high of 31C in Tlell at the beach. Water temperatures near Jungle Beach warmer than Vancouver Spanish Bank. Some similarities to Jamaica or Aruba with hot days and strong winds to cool you off. Saw an incredible number of deer, ravens, and eagles, two very big black bears along two different main roads. Seals near Maude Island. Hot springs needed cold seawater pumped in by Haida Watchmen to cool down the tourists arriving by Zodiac. Lots of birds. Highly recommend the nature and historical sights in Gwaii Haanas National Park and the rest of Haida Gwaii.