We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice about "The County".

Which Picton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Advice about "The County".

Hi,

After spending a few days in Toronto, we're renting a cute little cottage in Wellington. Just wondering if anyone could tell us some must sees in the County. We'll be there end of Sept.- first week in Oct. Would it be still be not too cold then? I've looked up the averages and seems to be 65F/18C.

Also, would be able to day trip to Kingston and 1,000 areas from here? Is Peterborough worth a visit?

Thanks so much. I can't wait to get to Canada! I love everything I've seen in this beautiful country so far.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice about "The County".

Hello swurvestar,

Be sure to check out Prince Edward County's website at prince-edward-county.com. On the right hand side there are drop-down menus of interesting things to see in the county. My favourites are the dunes at Sandbanks Provinvial Park, Picton, and Lake on the Mountain Provincial Park above the free Glenora Ferry. The temperature could be warm or cold, depending on what the wind wants to bring in, but the scenery willl be nice no matter what.

Day trips to Kingston and Gananoque (the 1000 Islands area) are doable from Wellington depending on how long you are willing to drive. Kingston is 1-1.5 hours away and Gan. is 1.5-2 hours away. Kingston is home to historic Fort Henry and the start of the Rideau Canal Waterway. Gananoque has boat cruises (check for schedules for that late in the season), the 1000 Islands Skydeck observation tower, and scenic drives and nature trails (Landon Bay Centre has a view of the river) to view the 1000 Islands.

I recently spent a few days in Peterborough with my fiance. We pre-paid and stayed in a nice, affordable room with a Jacuzzi tub at the Super 8. The town itself is very nice and there is a small zoo with free admission, the higheset hydraulic lift locks in the world, and good nature trails in the area (we went to Warsaw Caves).

Eastern Ontario is very nice and you should see some beautiful scenery no matter what you do.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

P.S. Here's the link to my recent trip report from Kingston to Peterborough: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155008-i1548-k377…

Edited: 12:24 pm, July 30, 2010
Boston...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice about "The County".

Thank you so much for the info!

Just read your trip report, sounds like a really nice place that we'll enjoy.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice about "The County".

You're Welcome!

I hope you have a good time.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice about "The County".

I would also suggest checking out the wineries/brewery.

That's a nice time of year to explore Sandbanks Provincial Park, since the crowds will be gone. Just watch out for the poison ivy.

ktown

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice about "The County".

Hi Swurvestar,

Welcome to the PICTON TRAVEL FORUM.

Quinte Isle & “The County” are a great spot to explore… here then are some of my favourite ways to spend some time there…

* Sandbanks Provincial Park… no matter what time of year always fascinating to see the sand dunes. The park actually has different “geography” north to south… so make sure you don’t miss out on the bigger dunes (Outlet Beach – Sandbanks Beach – Dunes Beach).

Ontario Parks – Sandbanks Provincial Park = www.ontarioparks.com/english/sand.html

* Driving – Just getting out into the countryside and driving on the roads that circle the Peninsula… great things to see (and photograph) nice views of Lake Ontario.

* Lake on the Mountain Provincial Park – Strange geographical feature… must be seen to be appreciated. Be sure to also check the views from the Parking Lot across the street of Lake Ontario and the Glenora Ferry.

Ontario Parks – Lake on the Mountain Provincial Park = www.ontarioparks.com/english/lakem.html

* Taste Trail – The County has a whole local food scene… you’ll find road side stands (Apples in the Fall for sure) as well as places that sell all sorts of foodie things… Pies, Cakes, Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Pickles, Fresh Veggies, Eggs, Cheese, Ice Cream, and Meats (Sausages, Lamb, Goat, Pork, Elk, etc). And of course as already mentioned… Wine, Cider, and Beer. We pack along a cooler to collect our wares… some of our favourite spots…

Pat’s Jams (Milford) = www.pec.on.ca/patsjams/

Vicki’s Veggies (Milford) = www.vickisveggies.com

Black River Cheese (Milford) = www.blackrivercheese.com

Fifth Town Artisan Cheese Co (Waupoos East) = www.fifthtown.ca

Slickers County Ice Cream (Bloomfield) = www.slickersicecream.com

County Cider Company (Waupoos East) = www.countycider.com

Barley Days Brewery (Warings Corner @ Picton) = www.barleydaysbrewery.com

Waring House Gourmet (downtown Picton) = www.waringhouse.com/retail.shtml

PE County Taste Trail = www.tastetrail.ca

PE County Winegrowers Association = www.thecountywines.com

and Official Guide to the Wineries of Ontario = www.winesofontario.ca

* Taste ! – If your timing is good you might want to make a note of the Annual Local Cuisine Celebration that happens Spring (Terroir) and Fall (Taste !) this year's Fall event is scheduled for Saturday, September 25, 2010 at the Crystal Palace in Picton. A good place to really learn more about the many excellent wineries, restaurants, and local producers of The County.

Taste ! = www.tastecelebration.ca/

--- --- ---

As for Day Trips, Kingston & the 1000 Islands are both easy drives (although there is enough to fill up more than one day… so you’ll want to keep that in mind)… I much prefer the more scenic route by sticking with the two lane highway that skirts the shore of Lake Ontario (The Loyalist Parkway – Bath Road) vs the more northerly less scenic Hwy 401 Expressway. This will also take across Lake Ontario to the Mainland (10 Minutes) on the Glenora Ferry (FREE).

Picton to the Waterfront Area of Kingston is aprox 77 Kms (1-1/4 Hours Drive Time) via the 401, or about 10 Kms Shorter (and 10 Minutes longer) via the more scenic route.

When in Kingston, you’ll want to see Historic Fort Henry a UNESCO World Heritage Site = www.forthenry.com

And perhaps pay a visit to either the Canada Penitentiary Museum = penitentiarymuseum.ca/museum/museum_home.htm

OR… Bellevue House the former home of Kingston’s most famous Lawyer, and Canada’s first Prime Minister – Sir John A Macdonald. The house is quite interesting, and tells the interesting contrasts of Sir John A’s successful business and political career and the huge tragedy that was his personal life.

Parks Canada - Bellevue House = pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/on/bellevue/index.aspx

When you go to Gananoque (gateway to the 1000 Islands) from Kingston, same thing, stick with the more scenic Hwy 2 that skirts along the St Lawrence River. It will take you about 30 Minutes to reach Gananoque… and don’t forget to also add on time for this journey to drive the 1000 Islands Parkway (Gananoque to Butternut Bay @ Brockville)… the whole Parkway is about 40 Kms in length, and will take just under an hour to drive. Allow for extra time though… as no doubt you’ll want to stop at some of the turn-outs to take photos (although the road is set up so one can stop just about anywhere to do so). And a stop in picturesque Rockport is also worthwhile (also a good place to eat… either Cornwalls Pub or the Boathouse Restaurant).

When you return to Picton, you can just hop back on the 401… distance from Butternut Bay to Downtown Picton is aprox 150 Kms (2 Hours).

If you are planning to do any of the Boat Cruises thru the 1000 Islands, be sure and check the schedules ahead of time… they go to a Fall Schedule come Labour Day Weekend… and don’t run as frequent.

My favourite is always one that stops at Boldt Castle… worth a visit, if for nothing more than to get an understanding of what this area must have been like at the turn of the 20th Century… although it is still the summer playground of many of Canada’s and the USA’s Rich, Famous and Infamous (it is a great place to hide out) it certainly doesn’t have the same cache that one can see was evident over 100 Years ago.

Gananoque Boat Lines = www.ganboatlines.com

Rockport Boat Lines = www.rockportcruises.com

Of course farther afield from Kingston & Gananoque you’ll find both Ottawa – Canada’s Capital City Region (2 Hours to the North from Kingston) and the St Lawrence Seaway Valley (runs from Brockville thru to Montreal).

Rather than Peterborough… a whole other interesting Day Trip could be spent discovering and exploring the Rideau Canal and Lakes Region that lies North of Kingston. The Rideau Canal was built after the War of 1812 as a means of safe passage to connect Canada’s two largest cities (Toronto & Montreal)… one in Upper Canada, the other in Lower Canada together in such a way as to be protected if there was ever another “front” on Lake Ontario & the St Lawrence River.

Today the Rideau Canal & Lakes are no longer used for transporting goods etc, but primarily is a route enjoyed by pleasure craft and cottagers. The Canal is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site (lol, there are only 2 in Ontario… and they both can be found with roots in Kingston). A pleasant drive thru the countryside can give you time to enjoy the scenery, visit various locks, (Jones Falls – Chaffeys Locks – and The Narrows would be favourite of ours). You could perhaps have a picnic, or discover quaint Ontario Towns along the Canal (Westport – Portland – Merrickville – Manotick).

Rideau Canal = www.rideau-info.com/canal/index.html

Hope this is helpful with your Trip Planning…

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Boston...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice about "The County".

Wow! Thanks so much for putting together all that info!

Canadians are great!

I have a lot of research to do now, thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice about "The County".

Hi Swurvestar,

You are very welcome... glad to help. As always, if you have more Questions just ask.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

8. Re: Advice about "The County".

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 31, 2011