We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabins and Chalets in Ucluelet area in March

Hermiston, OR
7 posts
Save Topic
Cabins and Chalets in Ucluelet area in March

I'm having a destination wedding in Victoria this coming March. We have booked a beautiful suite at the Fairholme Manor B&B for our wedding night and the night before. The rest of our honeymoon we want to spend on a more remote part of the island. My fiance grew up in the Union Bay area on the eastside of the Island and thinks it is way too touristy on that side. His mother suggested we stay on one of the Gulf Islands like Saltspring or Gabriola, etc. But that require more ferry rides and fees.

We've researched different areas on HelloBC and other websites and the Ucluelet area seems to be the most secluded and romantic. But we realize the first part of March will be storm season. So I'm going back and forth of where to stay. The Florencia Bay hideaway cabins are really nice and private with hot tubs on the decks, but there is no ocean views and a 5 minute walk to the trail that starts a 20 minute journey to the private beaches of Florencia Bay and Halfmoon.

On the other hand there are the waterfront Chalets at Pointwest Cottages with spectacular views right from your deck and jacuzzi. But their Chalets appear to be close to one another, but still not as close as a lot of the ones in the Tofino area I've come across like Terrace Beach Resort, etc.

I would appreciate any feedback from someone who has stayed in Ucluelet area. My future mother-in-law thinks we are nuts to stay on the West coast that time of year.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabins and Chalets in Ucluelet area in March

His Mother has a point.March is storm season which is beautiful in and of itself,but it is cold and wet usually.I love the west coast but it is a huge drive (6hrs) from Victoria if that is your transportation.You can ferry(short ferry ride) from Victoria to Saltspring and there are some really good secluded places there.Check out www.daffodilcovecottage.com great place and www.saltspringcottages.com.Saltspring is a fun place you can go into the village of Ganges for food,shops etc.Pender Island is another good Island close to Victoria,there is a new resort there called Poets Cove resort I have not stayed but all reviews are good.www.poetscove.com.Have fun with the future outlaws

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabins and Chalets in Ucluelet area in March

I live in Ucluelet, and work in the tourism industry. Terrace Beach Resort is very nice, and secluded. I am going to add that the drive from Victoria to here is not 6 hours. It's 3 and a half hours to 4, granted; I do travel the road a lot and know it like the back of my hand, lol. But I must add the #4 highway (from Port Alberni to Ucluelet) is just GORGEOUS and cannot be missed. If you are interested in views with tubs on deck, I highly recommend Tauca Lea Resort and Spa .. there's no ocean views, but you do get a inlet view or the view of the boat basin.. the views are just as magnificant.. for there's wildlife always at play (sealions/eagles/shore-birds) .. during the storm season the rates are quite great .. 169 .. it's a steal for all that you get offered. 199 with the jetted tubs on your deck.. take a look at their website :)

http://www.taucalearesort.com

During March you never know what kind of weather you'll get. But that's just the west coast for you :) Happy hotel hunting! Hope i've helped~

cochrane, alberta...
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabins and Chalets in Ucluelet area in March

Having stayed in the Gulf Islands a number of times, and the Tofino/Ucluelet area 5 times, I'd recommend Tofino. Gulf Islands are nice, but definitely more on the tame side. I like the natural wildness of the Tofino/Ucluelet area. What's more romantic than coming in from storm watching and curling up in front of a cozy fireplace?! Just bring warm clothes, rain gear, rubber boots, and you'll be fine. Lots of good/funky restaurants, coffee shops, galleries to explore if you want to stay indoors.

We've stayed the last three times in the South Chesterman Beach condos just outside Tofino where we have a nice long beach to walk on right at our front door. I contemplated staying at the Florencia Bay Hideaway Cottages last time, but opted for South Chesterman again and wasn't sorry. The Florencia Bay cottages property is right on the highway between Tofino and Ucluelet. While the South Chesterman property is also along that highway, you are steps from the beach and a short drive from Tofino.

cochrane, alberta...
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabins and Chalets in Ucluelet area in March

Forgot one thing...

Suggestion to stay at Poet's Cove Resort on Pender Island - check out the reviews on Trip Advisor first. They are not all positive - quite a range of reviews actually.

5. Re: Cabins and Chalets in Ucluelet area in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 23, 2009