We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino or Ucluelet for honeymoon? No car.

Which Ucluelet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tofino or Ucluelet for honeymoon? No car.

I am planning on spending my honeymoon travelling around Canada and would like to spend the first three nights at either Tofino or Ucluelet. I'm planning on getting a local plane from Vancouver airport and then getting a taxi or shuttle to the hotel.

However, neither of us drive so I figure we need to stay within the actual towns of Tofino or Ucluelet for easier access to the restaurants, boat trips and Tofino bus. This rules out some of the more upmarket lodges on Chesterman Beach, but we would like somewhere special to stay.

I was wondering which town you think would be best without our own transport? We are just planning on relaxing and walking, but would definitely like to take a bear watching boat trip too.

Any ideas would be great!

montreal,canada
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tofino or Ucluelet for honeymoon? No car.

we stayed at hertel's beach house in ucluelet and we we're amazed at the location. a private beach in a little cove nearby all the vincinities. the harbour is about a 10 minute walk and from there you can go whale watching ( seals,otter,sea lions,etc.) have fun on your honeymoon!!! the pacific rim trail is just a few minutes walk from there too.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tofino or Ucluelet for honeymoon? No car.

tofino by far, do not even consider ukeey

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tofino or Ucluelet for honeymoon? No car.

I most definitely preferred Ucluelet over Tofino. It was less developed, easier detachment from civilization, more trees, bears off the front porch, and the people seemed more down to earth.

Tofino is definitely more developed, artsy with several galleries, holistic wellness is a town theme, and a tad more spendy - perfect if that is your preference. The people in Tofino were very friendly as well. Had one of the best massages of my life at the Sacred Stone!

There are whale/bear watching tours at both ends of the peninsula, I recommend Jamie's Zodiac tour. We were the only ones on the tour last year and the kid driving us was extremely knowledgable and passionate.

There are hiking trails at both ends, although in Ucluelet, the Wild Pacific Trail is easier to access and curves around the shore, in and out of rainforest - even a lighthouse view.

Tofino defintely has more shops and restaurant choices, unfortunately since you do not have a car, you may want to consider this end. If you can get a scooter, car or even a bicycle, I would recommend it. The National Park and famous Long Beach are quite far from either location - in terms of walking.

I hope this helps, and have a wonderful honeymoon. My husband and I are celebrating our 3rd anniversary there in September (staying in Ucluelet again).

4. Re: Tofino or Ucluelet for honeymoon? No car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, October 03, 2009