We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We would like to plan 2 weeks + or - to visit Yukon and AK.

Which Haines Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Langhorne, PA
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
We would like to plan 2 weeks + or - to visit Yukon and AK.

My wife and I (mid-60's) would like to see some of the Yukon and would like to make it back to Denali in the summer of 2011. We did a cruise tour to AK five years ago and loved the land (cruise was just ok...sorry Princess). We have looked into cruise tours. Holland America has some with 9 or 10 days on land, visiting Whitehorse, Dawson City and Denali and then 3 or 4 days on a ship seeing the wayer and glaciers. My trip advisor friends have been so helpful int eh past. Who can point us in the right direction? Another cruise or should we drive up or fly up and rent a car? So hard to decide.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We would like to plan 2 weeks + or - to visit Yukon and AK.

Hi JLo

I would definitely avoide the land tours.....looooong bus rides each day with brief stops, especially in the Yukon.....

If you rent a car you would have so much more flexibility to stop where and when you wanted on your own schedule.......Both Alaska and the Yukon are easy to do on your own.....get a good map, plan on which towns you want to go and the activities you would like to do....book your car as soon as possible for better rates, reserve your hotel or B&B rooms ahead of time, or maybe rent a small RV and not have to commit to reservations ahead of time....( except for campground reservations at Denali - those need to be booked ahead of time, along with your shuttle tickets into the park ).....

If you have any specific questions as your plans firm up, come back to the forums (both Yukon and Alaska).....there are a lot of folks out here who would be glad to help with your plans........

2. Re: We would like to plan 2 weeks + or - to visit Yukon and AK.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 03, 2011