We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Genealogy trip to Cochrane

Honolulu, HI
1 post
Save Topic
Genealogy trip to Cochrane

We are researching our Grandfather Joseph J. Goodman who worked for the railroad at Sprague (?years), lived in Winnipeg abt. 1903-5 then moved to Calgary abt. 1906-7,8 then back to Winnipeg. We are told he and the family were offered land in Cochrane through the railroad for homesteading. We are interested in trying to find out where the land records would be and/or where there is information available on this time period and other records.

We will be coming to Calgary this summer to research and would like to receive any advice and information you can give.

Thank you, Harriet Hoffman, Honolulu, HI, USA

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Genealogy trip to Cochrane

Wow! Tough question. :-) Sounds like fun.

In Alberta, all land records are kept centrally, using the Torrens system. Here's the website for Alberta Land Titles, and info on researching historic land titles: …gov.ab.ca/lt/publications/copies.cfm

There is a land titles office in Calgary; I don't know if they would allow you to do your own research or not.

For local historical information, you can try the Town of Cochrane (www.cochrane.ca) and Cochrane's Nan Boothby Library (http://cochranepubliclibrary.ca/). The Calgary Public Library has a large local history section, also:

calgarypubliclibrary.com/library/local_histo…

I know there are plans for the central library, where the local history info is, to be demolished, but I don't know when that's supposed to happen, so keep that in mind if it seems to be a resource that would be helpful.

The Glenbow Museum also has extensive archives on the history of Alberta:

http://www.glenbow.org/collections/archives/

Hope this helps!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Genealogy trip to Cochrane

Sorry, just in case I wasn't clear: it's Calgary's W.R. Castell (central) library which will be demolished.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Genealogy trip to Cochrane

Hi 4 specs

Have you posted your query on the Rootsweb.com message board for Alberta? Or made any enquiries at the CanGenWeb project for Alberta:

http://users.rootsweb.com/~canab/index.html

There are also a bunch of volunteers at the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness: http://www.raogk.org/

~jw

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Genealogy trip to Cochrane

Heritage Park Historical Village, which is located in a southwest residential neighbourhood of Calgary, might be a neat place for you to visit. It would not help you with your genealogical research. However, it's comprised of actual buildings that existed in Alberta around the time that your grandfather lived here and that have been relocated to Heritage Park. It would help you to picture what life was like here during that period.

http://www.heritagepark.ca/visitor.htm

Downtown Cochrane also has some old buildings (well old by the standards of this young part of the country).

If you visit Cochrane, you may want to include a stop at the Cochrane Ranche Historic Site.

Also be sure to buy an ice cream from Mackay's in downtown Cochrane.

There is a lot of information about Calgary in the TripAdvisor section entitled Inside Calgary:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-s1/Calgary:Al…

and about the nearby Canadian Rockies in Inside Banff National Park:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-s1/Banff-Nati…

west of calgary
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Genealogy trip to Cochrane

we do have some historical documents kept in the western horseman's hall of fame, which is in the building occupied by the town management and muni gov't. be sure to bring your fly rod and fish the famous bow river, which has world class rainbows, brown and lake trout as well as brookies and cutthroat and mountain whitefish.

in the 1900-1910 period some land was let around the springbank area just west of calgary, or part of the city now. I have a friend who's family homesteaded the cullen estate in the late 1800's and he has some historical data about the western wagon trail through this area.

hope you enjoy your trip but remember to be prepared for inclement weather as we are influenced by the mountains which are close by and give us a great view every day..

we have several hotels in town and two serviced camp grounds so book early especially if you plan to arrive around stampede week which runs in the first two weeks of july.

cochrane, alberta...
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Genealogy trip to Cochrane

Country Wife,

Your statement:

"I know there are plans for the central library, where the local history info is, to be demolished, but I don't know when that's supposed to happen, so keep that in mind if it seems to be a resource that would be helpful."...is absolutely untrue. The Calgary Public Library has begun the planning process necessary to build a new, larger central library, but none of the collections will be demolished. They may be relocated while the actual building of the physical structure is taking place, but would still be accessible to the public. See the library's website for continually updated details: www.calgarypubliclibrary.com

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Genealogy trip to Cochrane

Sombrio,

Heavens! I never intended to suggest that the *collections* would be domolished--that would be a crime! I'm quite dismayed that anyone would understand what I wrote as suggesting that. I was, however, concerned that the local history collection, which is a special collection, *might* be inaccessible for a while, and I thought I'd give Harriet a warning to that effect. Forewarned, she can contact the library directly to confirm that the local history collection will be available, as part of planning her trip.

I looked at the CPL website, and there was an old webpage (from mid-2005) about the plans for a new central library. (calgarypubliclibrary.com/library/newlibrary.…) However, I didn't see anything to reassure borrowers that all of the materials from the central branch will be accessible throughout the transition. Where did you find that? I'd love to have more details.

8. Re: Genealogy trip to Cochrane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cochrane
More Cochrane Topics