We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Malls

Which Surrey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
4 posts
Save Topic
Shopping Malls

I'm visiting friends who live in Surrey and wonder what shopping centers or shopping districts are recommended. I am looking for an area that has lots of interesting stores but not necessarily touristy.

Westcoast_Girl
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Malls

The best shopping mall in Surrey is Guildford Town Centre and really the only one worth visiting. If you want more beauty, and something a little more quaint, go to White Rock which is not far from Surrey and is right on the ocean, with beaches, places to eat and shop, etc.

vancouver, canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Malls

Guildford is kind of in a scuzzy part of Surrey. I hear in the news that there is a fair amount of auto crime and it's close to Whalley, which has alot of drug houses and street people.

Anyone else have some other opinions on this and whether Fairviewslopes should go to Guildford Town Centre? It's been years since I've been there and although it's a huge mall with lots of stores, what else is there to do there. Better off Skytrain-ing it to downtown Vancouver?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping Malls

From a previous post, I recall that fairviewslopes is now actually living in Vancouver (along the Fairview slopes)... so he's going to be travelling from Vancouver to Surrey.

Now, I've never spent a lot of time in Surrey, but I'm not really sure it has what you're looking for. I know of Guildford Town Centre and Surrey Place Mall, and while they're definitely not touristy, it's nothing that you can't get from any Vancouver mall. It's the same chain stores. As for interesting stores, I'd take the skytrain over the river to New Westminster and stroll through Front Street for some neat antique shops. As for Surrey, I can't really think of any neighbourhood there with unique shopping districts. Each neighbourhood I've visited there has it's neighbourhood strip mall, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. Of course, I'm really stressing that I've spent limited time in Surrey, but as a life long local, the general consensus is that it's not exactly a unique shopping destintion.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping Malls

From a previous post, I recall that fairviewslopes is now actually living in Vancouver (along the Fairview slopes)... so he's going to be travelling from Vancouver to Surrey.

Now, I've never spent a lot of time in Surrey, but I'm not really sure it has what you're looking for. I know of Guildford Town Centre and Surrey Place Mall, and while they're definitely not touristy, it's nothing that you can't get from any Vancouver mall. It's the same chain stores. As for interesting stores, I'd take the skytrain over the river to New Westminster and stroll through Front Street for some neat antique shops. As for Surrey, I can't really think of any neighbourhood there with unique shopping districts. Each neighbourhood I've visited there has it's neighbourhood strip mall, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. Of course, I'm really stressing that I've spent limited time in Surrey, but as a life long local, the general consensus is that it's not exactly a unique shopping destintion.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping Malls

oops - ignore the double post.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping Malls

I live about 3 blocks away from Guildford Towne Center and really, don't worry about being accosted by any druggies or vagrants. True, at one point Surrey was the car theft capital of the English speaking world, but with the creation of the bait car program (www.baitcar.com), it's dropped dramatically within the past year. Still, no matter where I go, whether it's the mall or downtown Robson (great shopping there!), I put on a wheel lock. Guildford is a good mall but I find there is little variety in stores. They seem to be catering to a younger crowd (or maybe I'm just getting older). You'll find Gap, Old Navy, Jacob Connexion, Urban Behaviour, American Eagles, Below the Belt, Off the Wall, Esprit, and my fav RW & Co.

As someone mentioned earlier, for some more eclectic shopping, head off to South Surrey/White Rock or even further into the burbs - Langley. They have a pretty decent mall, plus check out the Power Center just off of 200th and the bypass. You can get some great deals there. My favourite mall in the lower mainland is probably Coquitlam Center (about 20mins driving on the #1). And Metropolis is great too with stores like Zara and Tristan.

Now if we could only get an H&M on the west coast!

nyc
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping Malls

Sounds like there's some decent stores there and yes, I won't let bad publicity deter me from going. I use common sense so when I travel, I'm careful.

We'll have 2 young children with us...4 and 7 years old. Are there any good children's stores and more important, family services or amenities to keep them entertained?

To "travelling teachers," how long would it take to get to Coquitlam Center? Does it have good shopping for adults and fun stuff for kids? We have lots of good play areas in our local mall here in NY, and they are always great breaks for moms like me.

Again, thanks to all for their help.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping Malls

fairviewslopes, here's the link to Coquitlam Centre. It's a nice, comfortable mall that's undergone some major renovations. There are comfy chairs to relax and also a lot of natural light. Unfortunately, since I don't have kids, I don't really pay attention to any kid-friendly things. As for how long it takes to get there it depends on where you start. I live in Guilford right next to highway #1 and it's only about 15-20mins in good traffic (darn that Port Mann bridge!). If you're taking transit, it'll be longer. Metropolis is a little more convenient in that respect. You can jump on the Sky train (if you park and ride, I recommend Scott Road station - cheaper - oh and you'll need to know the # of you parking spot before you go and buy a ticket). Then you just just on the Waterfront bound train to Metrotown. Large mall - great shopping (Lululemon, Mexx, Guess, Club Monaco, Towne Shoes), and you'll probably find more things for the kids to do here as well.

http://www.coquitlamcentre.com/

…shopping.ca/cambridge/jsp3/index_flash.jsp…

Vancouver
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping Malls

If you guys wanna know how guildford really is check out this post:

…blogspot.com/2008/08/day-in-whalley-and-gui…

10. Re: Shopping Malls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:38 am, October 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Surrey