We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xin Jiang

Kathmandu, null...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Xin Jiang

The more i read about Xin Jiang the more urge to visit Xin Jiang. At first I just plan to for a week in Xin Jiang but now i think i will have to extend my stay in Xin Jiang. Don't know how long yet. I want to go Hanan National Resreve,Sayram Lake,Khas gar,Karakol Lake, Urumqi and TUrpan. I want to do these all trips by myself, Is it possible to do on your own??? Please advise and please let me know if any of these places need special permit to enter ??? thanks in an advance

8 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,784 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xin Jiang

No special permit but very limited english spoken there making it a bit more challenging to move around.

Kathmandu, null...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Xin Jiang

thanks, they

can speak mandarin as well right???

Edited: 10:33 am, July 17, 2013
Kathmandu, null...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Xin Jiang

thanks, can they speak mandarin???

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,784 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xin Jiang

Not that well, In hotels you are ok with mandarin. With Chinese-looking people, mandarin is fine. Less so with shop owners and some taxi drivers but most people can speak it although not always well. It was nice for me as their level of mandarin is about the same as mine!!

Kathmandu, null...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Xin Jiang

Anyways thanks Jean, My chinese is not good either. Anyhow if you can survive i definatley can. Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xin Jiang

Yes, I think it is possible. There is not permit to be needed. But it is not easy to find an English-speaking person. If you want to ask the way, it is not easy to ask locals because most of them speak dialect.

Kathmandu, null...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Xin Jiang

thanks, I will take this challenge and hope I can cope with the.local minorities .if things getting worse I have a Google translation option. thanks anyway.

8. Re: Xin Jiang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:29 pm, May 23, 2016

Reply to: Xin Jiang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Xinjiang County