We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 Days in Canada

Which Clearwater hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
14 Days in Canada

Hi.

Im planning a 14 day trip to Canada is September and hoped to get some suggestions.

My plan is for 2 adults to fly in Toronto, 2 days doing the niagra bit and then fly to Calgary. Its then a hire car up to Banff, Jasper etc.

I then have the choice to stay in the park and fly back out of Calgary or do the drive to Vancouver and spend a few days in the city.

Is the 500 mile drive worth it? If so where are the best places to stop and break up the journey?

Im open to all suggestions.

Thanks.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 Days in Canada

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums, Steve!

The route between Calgary and Vancouver via the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks and the Okanagan valley is a well-travelled and much discussed itinerary here, although because of the geographic scope of it, the information is scattered among many forums. I would suggest browsing recent posts in the following: Canadian Rockies, Alberta, Banff, Jasper, Whistler, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Kamloops etc. (Also, if you access the forums at, say, the provincial level, you can see all the sub-forums beneath.)

The forum "search" function will bring up loads of useful information. (Look for it just above the list of messages). Also, the TA "Traveler Articles" and "Top Questions" have a lot of helpful info. Go to the TA page for whatever destination you need advice, then look on the left hand side of the page, and you'll see the Traveller Articles, starting with "More on ...", "Before you go", "Things to Do", etc. Top Questions for each destination are found in the top right corner.

Online maps can be very useful in laying out your itinerary - they have "directions" features which will give you mileage and driving times between stops. Try www.mapquest.com or www.maps.google.com .

Online resources that will be useful for the Rockies -

The Jasper and Banff/Lake Louise tourism offices:

www.jaspercanadianrockies.com

www.banfflakelouise.com

Parks Canada: www.pc.gc.ca - pick whichever park you want info for (Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay; once you are at the park's page, you'll see a menu down the left - choose "Visitor information"). Also, when you enter the park and pay your fee, you will be given an informative booklet that has information for all four parks.

Also, one of the main attractions in the area is the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper on a highway known as the Icefields Parkway - www.icefieldsparkway.ca . Although only about 225 km long, I usually recommend making a full day of it, stopping at the many scenic viewpoints, lakes, waterfalls along the way.

For information about the Toronto and NiagAra (note it is not spelled similarly to a certain mens' medication), I would suggest posting in forums for those areas - Ontario is a few thousand kilometres from western Canada, and very few, if any, of the knowledgeable posters for those areas would see your post here on the Clearwater, BC forum.

Hope this helps!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,289 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 Days in Canada

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forums! I see this is your first post.

I notice you have posted in the Clearwater Forum with questions about BC, Alberta and Vancouver. I've NEVER noticed a responder with a location of Clearwater.

The population of Clearwater is 5000 and it may not have any TA responders.

You will get some advice because some of us look at the BC Forum, which includes all the subforums of the province, but not all do. There is also the Canadian Rockies Forum, the Alberta Forum and the Vancouver Forum which would bring you good advice.

Your question is a yes or no one. Is the journey worth it? Yes! Where do you think you would be leaving from? Banff, Jasper, or Clearwater? (really? Clearwater?)

Go the British Columbia Forum and look to the top right for the "Top Questions". Listed in there is "driving from Calgary to Vancouver" or something like that.

Go to the Canadian Rockies Forum and the Vancouver Forum and look through the Top Questions advice as well.

Vancouver is worth 3-4 nights. September is a good month for it, usually the weather is stable, although the chance of rain is always there.

IMO, if you left from Banff and included the Field area (Spiral Tunnels), Revelstoke (CPR railway museum and a very picturesque town) and stayed in Kelowna (about 6 hours driving), then continued on to Vancouver from there (about 4.5-5 hours driving), you would have a fairly interesting and scenic drive out to the coast.

Edited: 12:41 pm, July 21, 2010
3. Re: 14 Days in Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:05 am, January 18, 2011