We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debating about Joggins Cliffs Visit

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
763 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Debating about Joggins Cliffs Visit

We will be heading from Halifax to Maitland for Tidal Bore rafting in September. I would really like to see Joggins Cliffs, but I'm not sure it will be worth the drive. We are staying in downtown Halifax and would drive from there to the Cliffs and then back to Maitland.

Google maps shows about 2.5 hrs from Halifax to Joggins and close to 2 hrs from Joggins back to Maitland, but I've read the times are usually a little off from reality. We will not be going on a weekend, so only the 30 min tour is available.

The tide tables show high tide in the early afternoon with low tide 6.5 hrs later. We don't want to arrive back in Maitland really late, so I'm wondering how late we would have to wait for a decent tour with good visibility of the fossils.

Thanks for the help!

1 reply
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debating about Joggins Cliffs Visit

I would contact the fossil centre, but I imagine you could walk on the beach two hours or so after the high tide. Some of the best fossils are in the cliffs so you do not need much beach to see them. The half hour tour is what I took and it was plenty. It came with our admission to the centre. This was in 2015 I think.

However it would be a long day and only you can decide. Are you rafting the next day?

The driving times are what you can do going at the speed limit with no traffic or stops. And of course you would be taking the shorter highway route rather than the scenic one along the Minas Basin shore and on to Advocate Harbour.

Reply to: Debating about Joggins Cliffs Visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amherst