We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amherst Shore Provincial Park

Halifax
5 posts
Save Topic
Amherst Shore Provincial Park

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are planning a weekend trip to Amherst Shore Provincial Park. I thought I would pop a question up on here to see what you all think are the best things to do in and around that area.

Things we enjoy...

Waterfalls

Hiking trails

Fishing Holes (I'm bringing my rod!)

Museums

Anything of interest really...

Any ideas?

(We are from the Halifax area and can get around quite easily).

I did some searches on here, but nothing comes up easily about this area.

Thanks everyone!

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amherst Shore Provincial Park

Hi Alex, looking at your desires, I would consider changing your camping destination. Amherst park is a nice park on warm water beaches and flat land, but if you want more of a WOW factor in you trip, with lots of waterfalls, stunning hiking, almost untouched brook trout streams and nearby museums I would suggest heading to Cape Chignecto. Waterfalls in the park, and down the road at places like Wards Falls, Economy Falls, Hidden Falls, Ripley Falls etc. If you want more comforts than the camping there check out the private parks. Some links of interest www.capechignecto.net

www.oldshipyardbeachcampground.com

www.ageofsailmuseum.ca

www.jogginsfossilcliffs.net

Halifax
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amherst Shore Provincial Park

Too bad Cape Chignecto didn't have drive in camp sites... That would have been the best.... I wonder why they don't do that... suppose to keep it more "natural"?

We are thinking of possibly still staying in Amherst Shore...going Friday night and then getting up in the morning and cruising over towards Cape Chignecto.... stopping at whatever we can find along the way... I have a NS Waterfall book I need to dig out!

Do you think that is unrealistic? To drive from one place to the other? We have all day to do it.

Thanks,

Alex

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amherst Shore Provincial Park

Yes, they dont allow motorized vehicles into Cape Chignecto as it is a wilderness experience, the long hike is compared to the West Coat trail at Pacific Rim, its a rugged, wild environment that offers some of the best back-country experience in Canada. There is a camping area at the entrance and at New Yarmouth that you can drive fairly close to for people not doing the big hike. Lots of short hikes from the Red Rocks park entrance, and the new day use park at Eatonville is phenomenal.

Yo wont have any problem making this a day excursion, heading to Halifax after doing the "waterfall" route from Advocate to Economy area. You will find a lot of the falls in this area listed in your book. Probably can only take in a place like Wards Falls with the time though.

Halifax
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amherst Shore Provincial Park

Hi there alex_macaskill, my name is Dayna and I work for Nova Scotia tourism.

The best place to find things to do that fall into the above categories that you listed would be to go to http://novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

You can look under novascotia.com/en/…default.aspx to find things to do outdoors. The nice thing is you can search by area, or just the type of activity, by selecting it from the drop down menu titled "Category"

Hope this helps!!

5. Re: Amherst Shore Provincial Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 am, December 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Amherst