We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help

Which Field hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary help

we are going on a to banff, yoho nat park, and lake louise area.

june 29 leave from toronto to calgary in the evening, driving to banff at night.

june 30 will drive to emerald lake staying over at the emerald lake lodge.

july 1 emerald lake lodge

july 2 lake louise area(no hotel booked yet)

july 3 lake louise area

july 4 drive back to calgary and night flight home.

short and sweet!

questions,

is it better to stay 3 nights in field area, and just 1 night in lake louise? we plan to do a lot of hiking and canoeing.

how does emerald lake lodge compare with cathedral mtn, and lake ohara.

if we stay at emerald lake lodge, is there plenty of good hikes there? is it worth taking the bus to ohara and hiking there? thanks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,427 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary help

Field is a tiny village (about 300 residents) with very limited accommodations and dining (one or two restaurants, if I recall correctly) - you can find more information at www.field.ca . Lake Louise is a small resort village (no permanent residents, but about 1000 people living in employer-supplied housing, and working there) with limited accommodations and dining. Banff is a town of 8000+ people, with lots of accommodation, dining and shopping to choose from.

I would suggest picking just one location and staying there for your entire stay. Driving times between Banff & Field is around an hour, so you could save yourself the hassle of transferring accommodation during a short stay in the area.

July 1 is Canada Day, our national holiday. Although it does not create a official holiday long weekend this year, that weekend will be a busy one in the Rockies so do be sure to book accommodation ahead.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
364 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary help

krp329 -

We've been a bit late with our plans, and won't be able to stay at the Lake O'Hara lodge as we once hoped (and we're probably not going to camp, as we did when younger). I read with interest your suggestion about staying at either Lake Louise or Field, given their proximity, rather than time at both. Would you still suggest driving back to Lake Louise, if we plan to take the bus into the O'Hara area for a full day of hiking, and just want a simple place to eat/sleep at night?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,427 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary help

Greg, your nearest options are Field, Lake Louise, Emerald Lake or Banff, depending on your budget and what kind of accommodation you want. There is a lodge/motel nearby, on highway 1 west of LL near the parking lot where the Lake O'H bus goes from. The name eludes me now - it used to be West Louise Lodge but has changed; anyway, their reviews here on TA are not that great, but you might want to check it out. Accommodation in Lake Louise is quite expensive, even for "simple"; the least expensive places are the HI Alpine Centre (hostel) and the Mountaineer motel.

Yes, Lake O'Hara Lodge is tough to get a booking - my understanding from friends who have stayed there a few times is that you are best to put your request in during the autumn (before Xmas) for the next season; that they sit down at some point over the holidays and sort through the booking requests and allocate. My friends waited one year until January to put in their request and were lucky to get a few days of "leftovers" during their time visiting the Rockies, but could not get the dates they originally wanted nor the length of time they wanted.

Are you aware of the reservation system for the bus? You can reserve exactly three months ahead - I have heard that it is best to phone right at 8 am MDT for the best chance of getting a spot on the bus. I don't know first-hand how often there are seats available for people who haven't reserved in advance. You can find more info on the Yoho National Park website - google "bus to Lake O"Hara".

4. Re: itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 24, 2010