We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help need in plans road trip, Vancouver to Whitehorse Yukon

Which Fort Nelson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help need in plans road trip, Vancouver to Whitehorse Yukon

Hello Every body,

I want to thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

I am planning a trip from Vancouver Area to White horse Yukon.

I will be pulling a small travel trailer with my SUV. In our family we are 4 me and wife son is almost 4 years old and daughter is just going to the 5 months by the time we will be travelling.

I want to travel up north because we both are off work and kids are not going to school. Our son loves to stay out in nature watching rivers animals trees etc for hours.

The we are thinking that we are not going to do it rush. we are not going to set high goals for our daily travel. Following are the ideas I am thinking that how we will do it.

1. As we have that small but very roomy travel trailer so we will do it slow we can take one to two days breaks as needed.

2. I am thinking about travelling only 500 or so KM per day and then may be rest for next day and then travel again. ( We have no rush to come back).

3. Even if I am saying we want to reach Whitehorse but if we have to turn around on the way then we will not be disappointed.

I just want to ask your help for suggestions that is it practical to do such a trip or I am thinking unrealistic.

If it is possible I will love to get as much tips I can. I love to travel and travelled a lot but have never done a long trip with kids. I just want to make sure every one should have good time.

Once again thank you in advance.

11 replies to this topic
Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help need in plans road trip, Vancouver to Whitehorse Yukon

I'm here ;-)

There will be times, no matter what, when driving up Hwy 37, or the Alaskan Highway, that you are more than an hour away from a medical facility. It's just the nature of the beast. But unless your child has a specific health issue, I wouldn't be overly concerned. There are ambulance and police services throughout any routes you would be traveling.

At the very least you should consider doing a loop - up the Alaska Highway and back down Highway 37. The scenery around Smithers and from Smithers to the Yukon border is spectacular. And culturally, the area around Moricetown (the Moricetown Canyon) and Hazelton ('Ksan village) is very rich.

I have friends who travelled Highway 37 on a regular basis for work, and in my 13 years living in Smithers, never heard one incident of people in distress because of the "isolation" of the route. Many, many, recreational vehicles travel the route every summer. The road has been improved substantially over the years, and ongoing industrial activity within the general area means lots of back and forth traffic - you won't feel alone ;-)

This is a good web page about the route.

http://www.stewartcassiarhighway.com/

Reply to: Help need in plans road trip, Vancouver to Whitehorse Yukon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Nelson
More Fort Nelson Topics