We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
151 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

We'll have the chance to spend some family time with teens and grandparents in late July in Mont Tremblant. I feel like I really should try to book the Residence Inn (even if the price is close for both) because of the money we'll save on food, the larger rooms and the chance to build on our Marriott points.. However, the Fairmont Mont Tremblant seems so much nicer and what I really want for the resort portion of our vacation. Please help me decide.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

There are trade offs. The Fairmont is nicer and more private, but you will not get Marriott Points. Residence Inn offers more room for your dollar, gives you points and breakfast is included, but the pool definitely will be less private and its location is noiser than the Fairmont.

The best hotel is Quintessence. You will not find it on the official resort website, but it is literally across the road from the middle of the resort village. Website is: http://www.hotelquintessence.com/en/ . For those looking for an upscale resort experience at Mont Tremblant, I think that Quintessence is the best choice. That said, there really aren't any bad lodging choices in the resort, just some that are better than others.

If you are willing to forego the points, another option is to book condos in the village or on the mountain. A broader condo selection--and the 3 and 4 bedroom units--may be found on the mountain or the golf course sections of the Tremblant resort. One, two, three and even four bedroom units are available. They offer much more room, fully-equipped kitchens, fireplaces, gas BBQs and most have washers and dryers. The condos come in varying levels of luxury and price. While they don't have hotel services, they are more comfortable than a hotel room and would have nice entertaining space for your family and be a "home away from home".

The ability to prepare some or all of your own meals can be a significant savings. Not all of the condos have swimming pools, but if a pool is important to you and you are considering a condo, please post back and one of us will be able to help you sort out those that do.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
151 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

Are the condos within walking distance to the village? We would love to not have to drive once we arrive.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
151 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

Quintessence has no availability. :( It was probably too pricey anyway.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

Mist of them are. There are a few areas of condos for rent on the mountain. If they say ski in ski out, that's a good indication that they are the walking distance you want.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
151 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

Great! I'll start looking on HomeAway unless you suggest anything else. We stayed at a wonderful place in Tahoe (Perfect North) and would be thrilled if there were something clean, comfortable and updated.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,675 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

Residence Inn will give you free WIFI and breakfast, plus the location in the mountain is better than the Fairmont.

Do not look on Honeaway, or any vacation rental site, because most rentals under 30 nights you find on those sites are illegal.

The only legal rentals in Quebec are listed on the bonjourquebec website.

Sun star manages mountian condos in the resort area, I believe they are legal. But you should ask if they are inspected and rated. The government is currently cracking down on illegal rentals.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

Any of the condos in the Domaine de la Foret (mountain side) or the Domaine du Geant (golf course) are within not more than a 10-12 minute walk from the bottom of the all-pedestrian resort village. Some of the condos in the Domaine de la Foret are only 3 to 5 minutes away, while the ones at the top of the hill are 10-12 minutes. There also is a free shuttle bus serving those locations. Look at the resort map (www.tremblant.ca) to get an idea of locations and prices or you can use www.tremblantsunstar.com, the management company that has the largest number of properties in the Domaine de la Foret. Bookings are possible on either site.

As you prefer not to have to use your car during your stay, be careful to verify the location of the rentals offered when using HomeAway, VBRO or other sites, Some of them are not within walking distance of the village and some imply that they are in the resort but actually may be several miles away. They may be excellent properties, just not in the location you prefer.

One possibility that I just saw on HomeAway is a 6-bedroom chalet in the Domaine du Geant (golf course). It is large enough to accommodate everyone in your group, if that level of togetherness is acceptable. While it has premium pricing, it might not be more than would be charged for three, 2-bedroom units in a different location.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
151 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

Thanks. I'll take a look. We would definitely need ones that were a three minute walk or less for some of the seniors. Had no idea about the illegal rentals! I am willing to give up points just because I want to have a nice pool area that I can lounge by with a book and experience some luxury. We're using points for the first part of the trip which helps me justify the indulgence :) I saw some units to drool over in Panache, but they were way more expensive than the Fairmont. Is the Westin as nice?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
151 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

Thanks. I'll take a look. We would definitely need ones that were a three minute walk or less for some of the seniors. Had no idea about the illegal rentals! I am willing to give up points just because I want to have a nice pool area that I can lounge by with a book and experience some luxury. We're using points for the first part of the trip which helps me justify the indulgence :) I saw some units to drool over in Panache, but they were way more expensive than the Fairmont. Is the Westin as nice?

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Residence Inn (should) vs. Fairmont (want)

bogwoppit makes a good point about illegal rentals, though I was not aware that the province had begun to crack down on them. Good to know. The same thing, by the way, is happening in lots of other jurisdictions in both Canada and the US. Usually though, they target apartments and houses in residential areas, not in resorts like Tremblant which have few permanent residents.

Re Sunstar, I can confirm that the units they manage definitely ARE legal, inspected and rated. I am an owner in the Domaine de la Foret and Sunstar manages my condo rentals for me. We are inspected, rated and pay the required provincial fees associated with the inspection and rating.