We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from DC to Mont Tremblant, what is the best route?

Which Mont Tremblant hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling from DC to Mont Tremblant, what is the best route?

We are in the early stages of planning a trip from the DC/Baltimore area to Mont Tremblant in mid to late January. This will be our first trip to CA. I have looked on Google maps for directions and I am wondering what way is the best. In the past Google has occasionally tried to take me through mountain passes that even the locals would NEVER take. I am aware that you should be an accomplished winter driver and believe I will be just fine. I have navigated the Colorado Rockies in the winter and have been just fine. My vehicle is also equipped with the Mountain Snowflake Symbol tires. Are there any differences in CA that I should be aware of?(full service only, daytime driving lights, kph, how tough are police on foreign vehicles, ???)

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,952 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from DC to Mont Tremblant, what is the best route?

No issues with local police and foreign plated cars, there are lots of US plates in Mont Tremblant year round. Speeds are posted in km/hour, and they are well posted. We all have daytime running lights, but not having them is not illegal, though n low light conditions you might consider turning on your lights for your own safety.

Great that you have real snow tires and real winter driving experience, that is a must here.

You must also be aware of the changability of the weather on the East coast in winter, and that the ability to change plans is a must. We stay home when snow storms hit. At the same time cheering as it means great skiing is on the way!

Do drive more slowly than you normally would, snow, slush, I've and black ice changes the reaction times of your car to braking, steering etc.

Do pack basics for winter in your car. Warm clothing, including boots, gloves and hats. A snow shovel, a small bag of cat litter for traction if stuck. A hazard triangle for safety if you ditch the car. Some snacks just in case you get stuck and are far from food. A blanket. Breaking down sucks if you are ill prepared.

As to the drive, I can only deal with it from the Canadian border really well, best to hit the highway 15 at the Lacolle border crossing, then follow it all the way north, following the signs for Tremblant that are dotted here and there. The hwy joins with, and becomes, the hwy117 at Ste Agathe des Monts. This will lead you to the Mont Tremblant exit.

The highway is well ploughed in winter, but bad weather is bad weather.

Hopefully someone with US winter driving will chime in on directions from DC to MT.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from DC to Mont Tremblant, what is the best route?

You really don't have a lot of choices re route.

Basically, you will get out of DC and take I-95 north, then connect west of NYC with I-87 in NY state and take I-87 all of the way to the NY-Quebec border. From that point, follow bogwoppit's directions to Mont Tremblant. Essentially, it is Autoroute 15 until 15 becomes 117. You barely will notice the difference, other than in the route number, though Autoroute 15 has well defined exits and 117 has some surface intersections. The road is good all of the way to Mont Tremblant.

Estimated driving time is 12-13 hours, one way, depending upon traffic and weather. Please bear in mind that you and all passengers will need a valid passport to enter Canada and to return to the US. Also, border crossing times can be unpredictable on occasions, particularly on the return to the US.

To bogwoppit's helpful list of things to pack, I would add water or other beverage, and a flashlight. Personally, I usually take along a sleeping bag, toilet paper and wet wipes.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from DC to Mont Tremblant, what is the best route?

Let me chime in on driving up from DC. You do have a choice over 95 and that is to go more West and go up via 81. We have driven from NC to Montreal many times (2-3 times a year over past 6 years) and always go this way. Well we took 95 once and it was a "never again" moment. The ride on 81 through Harrisburg and a lot of nowhere-ville PA/NY is very nice and easy with little traffic. Complete opposite of 95 which can be horrifically congested and of course is littered with toll stops. You could end up going via Ottawa or taking 201 back East to Montreal after crossing the border at beautiful Thousand Islands.

Check it on Google Maps. It will add around 30 minutes to the expected total travel time. I can virtually guarantee that with traffic, and the much much busier customs on the NY/Vermont side, you will more than make up that difference in reality.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from DC to Mont Tremblant, what is the best route?

Hi CarolinaToThe. . .

Good thought about I-81. I am familiar with it, but hesitated to recommend I-81 as an alternative since the OP will be traveling in winter and I wasn't sure about winter driving on that route. Have you done the trip in winter?

Edited: 11:57 pm, September 04, 2012
North Carolina
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from DC to Mont Tremblant, what is the best route?

Yes many times. No better or worse than going on the East coast routes. We got caught in a snowstorm around Syracuse once but managed to plow along, no pun intended.

6. Re: Traveling from DC to Mont Tremblant, what is the best route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, December 15, 2013