We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review - 18-25 Feb 2012

London, UK
Level Contributor
278 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review - 18-25 Feb 2012

This was our 4th trip to Tremblant and previously we have travelled in January but this year we could only get time off in February – during Washington Week. I was a little nervous about going during that week especially after reading some reports on TA about how busy it gets and how noisy it can be but it was not nearly as bad as we thought it would be!

We arrived late on Saturday night and were due to stay at the Ermitage (see hotel review) but due to a mix up with our reservation we ended up staying at the Westin (see hotel review) for the first 2 nights before moving to the Ermitage for the remaining 5 nights. We heard some noise while at the Westin (although this was Sat & Sun evening) but the Ermitage was lovely and quiet.

Our first skiing morning was Sunday. We had rented our equipment from the Adventure Centre and even though it was very busy in there it was well organised. The Adventure Centre now have free shoe storage too which was very handy as previously we had carried our shoes in a rucksack (I hate walking in ski boots!) With the Ermitage you receive free ski valet which is brilliant - it meant I could just jump on the Cabriolet lift without boots or skis and be back in the hotel in minutes.

I had booked 3 days of lessons which were in the afternoons each day a different instructor took the group – they were all very good. The size of the groups ranged from 4 people to 7.

The lift queues on both the Sunday and Monday (which apparently is a “Family Day” holiday in Canada) were busy – at one stage on the Sunday the queue for the gondola was back to the Flying Mile Chairlift! Fortunately as I had jet lag I was able to do first tracks every day which meant I could get a good hour or two of skiing in before the peak period and having lessons in the afternoons also helped with beating the lift queues as you get priority when with Ski School. The rest of the time as I was by myself I was able to take advantage of the “single” line.

After my 3 days of lessons I skied from 0745 until about 1030 before taking a quick coffee break (lovely hot chocolate!) and then continued skiing until around 1200ish. By then not only were my legs too tired but also the snow was getting a bit too “messed up” and the slopes were quite busy. Although I must say from about Wednesday until Friday it quietened down considerably.

I prefer to ski the north side and my favourite runs are Beauchemin Haut, Duncan, Geant, Superieur and Devils River along with Tobogan on the Soleil Side. On the south side I liked McCulloch and Beauvallion Haut and of course Nansen is always nice for a cruise.

We went dog sledging with Expedition Wolf which was absolutely brilliant (and it’s our third time!) the dogs just love to run and are so well cared for. It might seem a bit expensive but for us was worth the $.

We ate a couple of nights at Casey’s which was very good and tried Poutine which we loved (and ended up getting a takeaway 3 times!) It might not be the best looking meal but tasted great!

Overall another great trip to Tremblant and yes we would come back again especially as we still havent got to try the tubing or ice skating!

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review - 18-25 Feb 2012

Glad you liked your stay, but if are coming from the uk to ski, why not go to courchevel or even st moritz (if you want something more mainstream)?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,320 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review - 18-25 Feb 2012

As usual my esteemed colleague Platipus is on the grumpy side and trying to sound snobbish.

If he would have done a bit of research on your previous history UKTraveler he would not have posted such a silly reply. Sometimes the guy just seems to want to keep tourists away from the Province.

So, anyways I am delighted that you enjoyed Tremblant so much for the fourth times, so it helps to confirm that it is not a one time only ski resort. So thanks again for the nice TR.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review - 18-25 Feb 2012

Yes, I don't look up traveler's history. I was just interested in getting his perspective. I just don't understand why you would fly 5+ hours to get to Tremblant deal with jet lag when you get better ski nearby in France or Switzerland. Yes, Swill hotels are likely more expensive, but you don't have to pay for a transatlantic flight and all associated expenses - and it is not like Tremblant is a cheap destination. Perhaps someone in the UK has a different perspective and I was just trying to understand why they would be wowed by Tremblant given the amazing ski you can do much more closer to the UK.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review - 18-25 Feb 2012

Hi Guys,

Ok, I am also guilty of not looking this up by back-reading UKTRAVELLERLOVER's previous postings...

But as I recall, other skiers from the UK have said in the past that they love skiing in North America because (a) we have better conditions / grooming... so less ice... and (b) even with the added expense of the transatlantic flight, overall the holiday still comes in cheaper for them.

Have to say that last one really blew me away... Skiing in Europe must be very very expensive !!

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 1:29 pm, March 29, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review - 18-25 Feb 2012

Hi UKTRAVELLERLONDON-UK (sorry I messed up your User Name in the posting above)

Great Trip Report... sounds like you had another marvellous ski vacation at Mont-T.

That mid-February Weekend at Mont-T is often a busy one... between Valentines Day (the 14th) and then the two Stat Holidays (Presidents Day in the US) and Family Day (in Ontario... Quebec doesn't have this holiday)... BOTH of which fall on the 3rd Monday in February... which typically happens sometime around Valentines as well.

Good to hear that it didn't impact you though too much... and that you still got in some great skiing.

And I am a BIG Fan of Ski Schools when on an extended Ski Holiday ... figure there is always something one can learn... and it is wonderful to come home after a ski holiday knowing that you've accomplished something and improved your skiing technique... lol, and YES nothing like the priority pass onto the lifts when in Ski School... means you get a lot more skiing done in a short amount of time !!

I'll be reading your HOTEL REVIEWS... and so may post back again after that.

Glad to hear you'll be back with us again in the future...

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

London, UK
Level Contributor
278 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review - 18-25 Feb 2012

Thanks for your responses - I am surprised that us travelling to Canada to ski has caused so many comments! We love Canada and USA and have taken many vacations in both countires both summer and winter. I have skied in Europe (Italy, Austria and Finland) and even though it is a shorter journey for us and generally a bit cheaper you just can't beat the service and friendliness you get in Canada and USA. I like Tremblant as I ski by myself when not in ski school and the mountain is easy to navigate and I cant get lost! Its easy to meet my husband at coffee/lunch time and there is always someone to talk to on a chair lift! There is also plenty to do off the mountain - such as the dog sledding, snowmobiling, snow shoeing etc which we also enjoy and have done all of these on previous trips.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Review - 18-25 Feb 2012

Thanks for the feedback. I guess we are nicer, it is easier to get by and we have other activities not available in Europe. But as I suspected, price is not the determining factor.

8. Re: Trip Review - 18-25 Feb 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:42 pm, June 18, 2013