We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Ottawa to Tremblant

Which Mont Tremblant hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Ottawa to Tremblant

Can anyone tell me the best driving route to take from Ottawa to Tremblant. Also, how long would the drive take ? Any things to be mindful of when driving to Tremblant ..ie , bad roads, availabilty of gaz, etc.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Ottawa to Tremblant

It's a pretty easy drive now thanks to highway straightening and re-surfacing. There are some patchy and bumpy spots, but most of it's pretty smooth now. From the Gatineau side, I take the 50 to the 317 to 321 to the 315 to 323 to Tremblant. Maybe this link will work... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ottawa,+Ontario,+Canada&daddr=Mont-Tremblant,+Quebec,+Canada&hl=en&geocode=FfTstAId7u98-ymvE1FfsgXOTDHtFd0x4VFqig%3BFbvEwAId8IqN-ykXUpS8DXbPTDHAVE2urQwEBQ&mra=mrv&sll=45.801999,-74.657593&sspn=1.464763,4.22699&ie=UTF8&ll=45.803914,-74.814148&spn=1.464712,4.22699&z=9

The one catch is that most GPSs think the 50 ends at Masson-Angers and tell you to get off there and take the 148 - stay on the 50 though as it now continues to the 317, which cuts 5-10 minutes off the trip time.

It takes me a bit under 2 hours to make the drive with clear roads (not speeding). The route takes you through a number of small towns so gas, snacks, etc are always nearby.

Edited: 11:47 pm, March 23, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Ottawa to Tremblant

Hi TorontoBug,

Welcome to the MONT TREMBLANT TRAVEL FORUM.

THE SHORT ROUTE

Most “Ottawa Locals” take Autoroute 50 to Masson-Angers, Quebec… and then Hwy 148 to Montebello, followed by Hwy 323 up to St Jovite.

From Downtown to the Resort it`ll run you aprox 165 Kms and 2 to 2-1/2 Hours of Drive Time.

THE LONG ROUTE

If you are coming in the Winter time then this route can be sometimes problematic if there is bad weather, as Hwy 323 isn`t considered a major highway (mostly running thru cottage country)… if it is bad… then most local Skiers will take the “long way”…

Hwy 174 (Old 17) out of Ottawa to Hawkesbury, then cross the Long Sault Bridge to Quebec… and Autoroute 50 (Mirabel) to Autoroute 15 (the Laurentian Autoroute) North to Hwy 117 and onto Mont Tremblant. This route is A LOT LONGER though… 249 Kms and closer to 3 to 3-1/2 Hours… due to the extra time it is ONLY popular if the weather conditions warrant… as so much of it is Expressway.

THE SCENIC ROUTE

If you are visiting Spring thru Fall… and looking for a scenic route… Hwy 323 is a good choice… but there are also many other great options as well… just let us know.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… Gas is easy enough to find along all the Autoroutes & Expressways… not so much along Hwys 148 and 323. Best bet is gas-up at either end BEFORE you start your cross country trek.

PPS... When driving thru small towns be sure and adhere to the posted Speed Limits... some places enjoy the "tourism" revenue !!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Ottawa to Tremblant

^^ I used to take the 148 to the 323 route before they extended the 50... .now it's quicker to stay on the 50 until the 317.

The 323 has actually been straightened and improved a LOT- I think all of the twisty/rough bits are now gone, and several sections are appear freshly paved. It's probably the best 2-lane road to Tremblant now...albeit a bit less scenic than it used to be in the straightened bits. Granted, I've only driven the northern part of it this year.

That's a good tip on the speed limits in the towns.. I've passed many a driver who was pulled over where the limit changed from 90 to 50.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,954 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Ottawa to Tremblant

I also "used" to do the 50 andf 148 thing, but now the 50 has crept much closer I do exactly what JL99 does. Took 15 minutes off my journey (I live closer thna Tremblant) and gave me a whole new lot of things to look at.

THe grocery store where you turn right at the 317 321 junction has a great selection of meats etc. Good prices too.

A GPS is not your friend in this area. Our friends from Ottawa are regualary sent on a wild goose chase through Boileau when they come to our place. Better to plan you map on papaer and stick to it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Ottawa to Tremblant

Hi Guys,

Ok you got me sold... I will try the new improved 317 - 321 - 315 - 323 route.

Lol, but only in one direction... it is a tradition to make a pit-stop at the Chateau Montebello coming home ... be that for a nice glass of wine on teh back patio... overlooking the Grounds & River in the summer... or a hot coffee and a bite to eat in the comfy lodge in the wintertime (Pricey for sure... but one of life's decadent pleasures).

And yes a GPS is not the greatest thing in "Cottage Country" in Quebec... a printed map / directions (preferably from someone who lives there) is much better!!

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,954 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Ottawa to Tremblant

Wine I usually do it one way as well, my kids love the ferry at Masson, so that is a must every time. When the 50 gets to Montebello things will be wonderful, you will be able to have your wine and the quick trip.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Ottawa to Tremblant

TO BOGWOPPIT,

The finalization of Autoroute 50 will BE AMAZING... as this highway has been in the works since I was a kid !!

It has been a world of difference since the Lachute to Grenville portion opened a couple of years ago... makes my trip to see family in the Laurentian Foothills a LOT Shorter... cut a good 15 Minutes off the trip.

By all accounts I hear they are busily working on the last sections of Grenville to Thurso... (hold up has been the various Overpasses and the Bridge over the Rouge River Gorge).

Will be great when it is finished... will certainly also bring more tourists to the region... so good for the economy.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

8. Re: Driving from Ottawa to Tremblant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, October 28, 2012