We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in 2 weeks??

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Skiing in 2 weeks??

This is for the locals...

I need to decide today before midnight if we are going to Mont Tremblant or not. Our only possible dates are November 21 to November 25.

I know you do not have a crystal ball... but do you think there will be any chance to ski??

I was hoping to see more snow at this point in time but the weather channel does not even foresee any snow during the following days.

So difficult to decide with no information!

Montreal, Quebec...
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in 2 weeks??

I'd say that there is a 50% chance that SOME slopes will be open for skiing.

There was some snow on the ground last weekend in Mont Tremblant (around 10 inches), but it's 50 F in Trembland right now (65 degrees in Mtl), so I doubt there's any of the white stuff left on the ground.

But there are other things to do in the area if there is no snow on the ground. Hiking, for example. Montreal is only 2 hours away from Tremblant, and Quebec City 4 hours and a half away, so should you decide to book your plane tickes, you could keep these two cities as a plan B and do some Christmas shopping.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in 2 weeks??

Agree with Plateausard.

Tremblant's ski season opens officially on Nov 21. IF temperatures are cold enough, they will be making artificial snow like crazy, just to be able to open a few runs. However, just as a big snowstorm arrived somewhat unexpectedly a week ago, Tremblant often gets a bit of natural snow right in time for opening. It won't be wonderful skiing, but snow nevertheless.

Without snow, Tremblant will be quiet, but Montreal would be a wonderful alternative visit. If you are flying to Montreal, as I presume that you are, you will have maximum flexibility. Either stay in Montreal or head north to Tremblant.

By the way, booking a hotel at Tremblant will not be difficult on those dates, whether there is snow or not.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing in 2 weeks??

Hi Marisolm,

YES, it is a crap shoot... Here is some of the data from the Weather Network 14-Day Trend Site.

Sat 8th = High 9C, Low 3C, (Rain)

Sun 9th = High 3C, Low -1C

Mon 10th = High 3C, Low -3C, (Less 1 cm of Snow)

Tues 11th = High -1C, Low -5C

Wed 12th = High 0C, Low -4C, (2 to 4 cm of Snow)

Th 13th = High 1C, Low -1C

F 14th = Just above 0C (Rain)

Sat 15th = Around 0C (Snow)

Sun 16th = Above 0C (Snow or Rain)

Mon 17th = Above 0C (Rain)

Tues 18th = Below OC (Snow)

Wed 19th = -4C (Snow)

Th 20th = -3C (Sun & Cloud)

So the temperatures are projected to be more and more around 0C as the month goes on, anytime it is at zero or below they will be making snow. So it is difficult to say how much snow will be down as a base, but you`ll be able to keep track either on this FORUM, thru the Mont Tremblant Website www.tremblant.ca or by checking for pics and video at www.tremblantskireport.wordpress.com

As a Back-up Plan, I`d certainly think about touring Montreal, Quebec City or Ottawa (depending on where you`ve been before). For more info on those cities you can SEARCH them on TA, Read their OVERVIEWS, Browse their HOTEL, RESTAURANT, & THINGS TO DO Sections or look thru the FORUMS for those Destinations.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing in 2 weeks??

Ooops,

I meant to give you the link to the Weather Network`s 14-Day Trend Website:

theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/caqc0360

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing in 2 weeks??

Thank you all! you are the best.

After reading your comments and watching the weather channel, we decided to postpone the trip as my husband wanted to ski. It is a shame because Nov 23 is his birthday and we wanted to do something special...

Will visit you soon!

Glencoe, Illinois
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing in 2 weeks??

Marisolm,

I went to Tremblant two years ago at Thanksgiving (last week in November) We were able to ski the backside of the mountian due to the fact that it gets less sun exposure and the Snowmaking capabilities at Tremblant are as good or better than any Ski resort in the world. There was also some snow on the "bunny Slope" near the Pedestrian village if you are bringing along a new skier.

As an earlier post pointed out, there is plenty to do in Quebec if the snow isn't optimal when you arrive. We spent a day hiking the mountain and there are some great views to be had once you make it to the top. You can day-trip to Montreal or Quebec City or even Ottowa which is two and a half-hours away. All these city have great Culture/Dinnig/Etc.

Suggest if you do go to tremblant you make the trek to Au Petite Pucet one morning for breakfast and enjoy the ambiance http://www.aupetitpoucet.com/

Bon Chance!

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing in 2 weeks??

James,

Do you know if Au Petit Poucet has now reopened after the big fire?

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing in 2 weeks??

Just called Au Petit Poucet's number and they have now reopened. For anyone who checks out their website, it still is showing reopening in May (no year given), which presumably meant May 2007.

For TA members not familiar with it, the restaurant is not in Mont Tremblant but in Val David, a town maybe 35-40 minutes south and east of Tremblant.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing in 2 weeks??

Excuse me. Care for my opinion. Or better yet. Would you like to see the video and pictures from that time period from the last two years?

Have faith. This time last year we went through the same thing. Seriously we did. But last year we only got 5cm before Halloween. This year we got 35cm of snow.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Skiing in 2 weeks??

Thanks! and yes, I would like to see last year's pics!

Still thinking about the trip...