We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from family Easter trip - report and thanks

Scotland
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from family Easter trip - report and thanks

Last November I posted a request here for information about Mont-Tremblant before booking a skiing trip for our family of four, including a six-year-old and a four-year-old. We’ve just returned from a great Easter holiday break. The information I gleaned from this forum in advance was very helpful.

We elected to sacrifice peace and quiet for location and booked 8 nights from March 23rd at the Homewood Suites. Overall this was the right decision, although we had to ask for a room change – we’d asked for a relatively quiet room but on arrival were given one facing the Place St Bernard directly opposite a stage with a live band playing – the room was literally vibrating! Once we’d changed rooms the location was perfect as we could pop in and out when necessary if the children needed a break.

The snow conditions were superb and we had sunshine almost every day. The children both went to ski school for four days and enjoyed themselves and made good progress. The ratio of staff to children was excellent – my four-year-old shared his instructor with just one other boy. By the end of the week he was skiing from the top to the bottom of the mountain on green and blue runs.

I prefer cross-country skiing to downhill and managed to ski a lot of the cross-country trails. You can access some from the bottom of the pedestrian village but, unless you have a lot of time, to get to the main network it is easier to drive to the main cross-country ski centre about 10 minutes’ drive down the road. You have to purchase an access ticket to use the cross-country trails; they are independent from the resort runs. The trails were well-groomed and almost empty and the scenery was lovely. If you don’t have your own equipment you can hire it and they also offer tuition. See www.skidefondmont-tremblant.com/eng/index.php for details.

My husband skied all the downhill runs and enjoyed them.

Once the four ski school days were up we mostly skied as a family and had great fun.

We had hired a car and therefore did our supermarket shopping at the Metro supermarket in St Jovite, which was excellent. If you were self-catering without transport you would be sorely disappointed at the range on offer in the shop in the pedestrian village itself – but I was aware of that from this forum. Can’t report on any nightlife as we ate in. We used the swimming pool at the AquaSource once. It was cheaper to book it via the Homewood Suites. The boys loved it. We came forearmed with the required swimming caps but you can buy them there if you need to.

All in all the Mont-Tremblant experience was great. The accommodation was good. One small quibble was that the Homewood Suites reception staff weren’t proactive at providing useful information such as the swimming pool discount and were notably unsympathetic at first when I expressed disappointment at being given a room on the loud square despite having booked back in November, having young children, and having requested a quiet room. But it was a busy Easter and these things happen. All worked out in the end.

We tacked on a couple of nights in Montreal at each side of the trip – firstly stayed in the Trylon apartments and on the way back in the Le Square Philips suites. Both very good for our needs. The children loved the science centre and the Biodome.

Would we go again? In theory, yes; in practice cost comes into it with transatlantic flights to factor in. At least ours were with KLM via Amsterdam and we avoided the notorious Heathrow Terminal 5 debacle!

Thank you to the contributors to this forum for providing a great research source which gave us a head start to our trip.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from family Easter trip - report and thanks

AlexScot-

Thanks so much for taking the time to do such a great trip report. It sounds as though the four of you had a nice and relaxing Easter break and really enjoyed the experience. Your comments are very useful to all of us.

I understand the airfare issue and guess there is no easy answer for it. I live outside of Detroit and it sometimes is cheaper to fly to the UK from here than it is to Montreal! We do hope that you will find a way to return in the future (winter or summer) and that, until you do, you will tell your friends about Mont Tremblant.

2. Re: Just got back from family Easter trip - report and thanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, September 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mont Tremblant