We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hot springs

aberdeen
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
hot springs

hi, were coming to fernie in feb cant believe the amount of snow already :), does anyone know how far by car the nearest hot springs is, thanks russ

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
940 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hot springs

Are you looking for commercial or undeveloped?

If you want commercial, it is about 2 hours to Fairmont Hot Springs - drive toward Cranbrook, and just before town take the turnoff to the right that goes to Fort Steele/Fairmont/Radium/Banff (the signs will say any or all of those). IN short you will be driving north. You will drive through Fort Steele then past Wasa (village & lake) and then the highway comes to a "T" junction where you turn right. From the Fort Steele turn off to Fairmont is about 1 hr. If you go about 20 min north of Fairmont you will reach Radium Hot Springs. Personally I prefer Radium to Fairmont - smaller and I like the scenery better (but the view is more "open" at Fairmont).

If you are wanting "undeveloped" hot springs, you could try Lussier in Whiteswan park. Partway between Wasa and the village of Canal Flats is a turn off to the right - with a big sign indicating Whiteswan Provincial Park. The road is a logging road and not bad, as far as logging roads go, but it may not be something you want to try, certainly not in a rental car and DEFINITELY NOT unless you have snowtires (maybe even chains??) I gather you are Scots so not sure if you have any experience driving logging roads in BC? You need to be prepared for anything, including ore trucks & logging trucks both of which barrel along with full loads at about a million mile an hour & don't stop for anything. The road can be very icy & slippery and cars and trucks have been known to slide off the road and down the embankment before. If you really want to see Lussier (and they are gorgeous hot springs) I would try & find a local to take you in his big truck! Otherwise you will enjoy Fairmont/Radium. The hotel at Fairmont is pretty nice, with its own private hot pool, so you might want to stay there overnight for a treat.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hot springs

thanks for getting back, was hoping there was something closer, thanks anyway , russ

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
940 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hot springs

If you've got the time, the trip to Fairmont is really nice. Maybe I overestimated the time a bit, it's probably only about 1 hr 45 min (not 2 hrs) to Fairmont from Fernie. The Rockies marching away to the north on your right, the Purcells rolling along to the north on your left, it really is a lovely drive along the Rocky Mtn Trench & worth seeing, in my view. I used to travel regularly to Golden for business and never tired of the drive at all - would still do it if I didn't (now) have a young family & don't want to be on the road so much (or away overnight).

4. Re: hot springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 04, 2010