We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booked fernie now concernced !

Norfolk
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
booked fernie now concernced !

have just returned from a 10 day ski trip to kimberley,gt snow,gt people,gt skiing,no queues,totally un crowded slopes.prior to this trip we booked fernie for 2009,and are now wondering if we have made a mistake!having shared many a lift in kimberley with locals of both areas,the huge proportion of opinion told us that fernie might not be right for us,reasons ranging from.v busy,difficult and advanced terrain,rain at times,hectic lift lines.we were aware that by booking into a larger resort would mean slightly more people etc but some of the stories have given us cause for concern,we are a group that has children through to intermediate skiiers,any feedback on this would be greatly appreaciated

rocky mountains
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: booked fernie now concernced !

One question to ask is - if it isn't very good, why would it be busy? I have only skied there a couple of times, once in clear sunshine and once in moderate snow. Given that the second of these was a only a couple of days after Christmas, it certainly wasn't crowded. There are plenty of runs for all abilities and the lift system is pretty good.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booked fernie now concernced !

I went snowshoeing in Fernie this winter and the powder was menacing - like one step forward 4 steps back. Which probably means it was great for skiing!

All I can really say myself since I've never been on the hill, is that I've had great experiences with winter weather in Fernie the handful of times I have been. Although I prefer the Kimberley atmosphere.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booked fernie now concernced !

We went to Kimberley in Feb 08 and took the day trip to Fernie to ski. This was my 3rd year skiing and consider myself a fairly nervous skier but I loved Fernie. The greens on the lower part of the mountain was great and a good gradient for beginners/intermediates. We did go further up the mountain and yes it was steeper but I managed what I considered a steepish blue run so it couldn't have been that bad. In February there were no lift lines at all, literally came down the slope and got straight back on the lifts. I was more confident at Fernie than anywhere else I have been. I would say go with your instinct and go. Whereever you book you are going to hear things that will put you off.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booked fernie now concernced !

cheers for that guys and gals,all three replys have helped immensly,i suppose we were concerned because kimberley this year pretty much ticked every box for us all,and we made a few changes when booking fernie ie.staying in town as apposed to slopeside,no breakfast at accomadation, little things i know but the less hassle you have on a skiing trip the better especially for those with kids in ski school etc and even for adults without them.made a gaff really in not going to fernie whilst staying in kimberley,but we were enjoying the skiing so much and the time just went so fast! we are booked into the mountain lodge in 2009,i know its a long way off but any more info or tips would be great

5. Re: booked fernie now concernced !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, September 06, 2009