We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatineau Park in early May

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,544 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Gatineau Park in early May

Not sure I should be asking this in the Ottawa forum. I know it is in Quebec, but there doesn't seem to be much activity on the Gatineau forum.

Anyway, I am going to be staying in Ottawa, and wanted to rent a car for the day to explore the park. I was wondering if all the roads would even be open yet, and if there is a route that makes the most of seeing the highlights of the park. Won't be renting a canoe or anything, as I imagine it will still be too cold, or they won't be available for rent until the long May weekend.

I've been looking at the park website, and they mention "summer" and "winter", but not much about spring!

Thanks for any help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatineau Park in early May

The roads will be open in my experience.....

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,893 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatineau Park in early May

According to their website the spring blossom walk is May 5th, so expect the snow to be gone. Occasionaly there are road closures due to cycling/marathons/etc... usually on Saturdays or evenings. These are all posted on the website. Otherwise - roads will be available by May.

canadascapital.gc.ca/places-to-visit/gatinea…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
544 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatineau Park in early May

If you do go be prepared for bugs as they can get very active around that time of year, Long sleeves and pants coupled with an inexpensive mesh headgear and a small bottle of bug spray should be brought along just in case..

A stop by Canadian tire should get you the mesh head gear and the bug spray.

Edited: 6:53 am, April 08, 2013
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,544 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatineau Park in early May

Back home on the west coast now, but we did get to the park on Monday, May 6th. Road closures were still in effect, at least for most of them. We did manage to get to King's estate, but nothing was open there either. Even the washrooms were closed!!!! Nobody pees in May ;o)

We had a glorious day, but didn't get to see near enough. We did make the short hike down to the falls. Lots of men working on the grounds, raking and cleaning up the grounds. Kingsmere is closed completely, doing renovations. The sign said it will be open in June, but didn't say beginning of month of the end...

5. Re: Gatineau Park in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, September 18, 2017