We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

We will be in Baie Comeau in October for 1 day off the cruise ship Eurodam - any suggestions on what to do for this day please

21 replies to this topic
Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

Thanks for that - will take a look.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

Hi, been scanning the local tourism sites but found no HOHO in Baie Comeau, what they mostly advertise is the Hydro Electric Dams. I do not think the town has much to offer for a whole day.

Are now considering renting a car.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

Hi

I am happy to see this post. Not much going on in this port. I did find (on that site that was mentioned) here a pdf file that does have English after the French in each section so I was happy to see that. It is right at the top in the first line of the web page but it is not clear for us English readers :(. Translate the page to English using google and the pdf is easier to see. The pdf had lots of info. It also had a small walking tour close to the port but for those of you possibly renting a car you can gets lots of info here.

…baie-comeau.qc.ca/tourisme/…index.html

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

That port is listed as Saguenay QC Canada on www.TomsPortGuides.com

Guess I'll have to change the name of my port guide

Regards,

Tom

Edited: 7:06 am, September 25, 2013
Vienna, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

Not Saguenay!!!! On the Seabourn Sojourn at the moment. We just docked at 7:30 AM in Baie Comeau. Gangplank just announced to Starboard side. View from our Suite is to Port and there is a lovbely Aluminum Processing area with lots of trains and large piles of ore. Lovely, but not a tour candidate!!!! Info we have on board is sparse on things to do. Seems the Hydroplant is the key Tourist Attraction. Always on the Top of my Touring Bucket List!!!!! I guess breakfast just got higher in today's priorities!!!!

Now back from Breakfast...

But, if travelling from Montreal, you will likely stop in Saguenay in the first 3 days. We did 2 days in Quebec City (fabulous place) and docked hard by the Lower Old Town, so walking from ship to City is matter of minutes. Funiculatr thig-a-ma-jig to Upper City for 2.25$ (Canadian Dollar symbol in Canada - US $ accepted virtually everywhere at even trade; change usually in Canadian $) which is spectacular. Only remaining Walled City north of Mexico. Fantastic original Barracks and Arsenal now museums. Walls at St Louis Gate are a must see. Choice of restaurant is limited to only about 200!!!!! Maybe a few more we missed. First rate shopping. Hotel Chateau Frontiec (sp) almost a Museum of it's own. High Tea is a lovely event there.

As to Saguenay, you will love the Morning Greeting from the period costumed town folk, complete with Tepees, Tents, Trading Post, etc on the Dock and a very noisy but welcoming Mayor on a Speaker System. Also live music literally all morning. As you debark, you get a Provincial Flag, Frozen Maple Pops, etc. Inside the Terminal Building numerous Kiosks with local goods (and 5 minutes walk into town by Church is another series of Kiosks). The Tour of the Maple, Soap and Glass "factories" was given a high mark.

Upon Departure from Saguenay, a crowd of locals turned up and wave goodbye! Nice people

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

We are will be in Baie Comeau off Eurodam on October 15th. What are your suggestions?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

We will be on Eurodam on Oct 15. Did you find anything interesting?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

At this time of the year, I think your best thing will be looking at the colours.

Personally I want to go to see the hydro dam one day, but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

Thanks to all for info.

Daufuskie Island...
3 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship

Our cruise was later than yours. For those who come after: Pleasant enough little town that seems to be after the cruise $$ more than anything and suffers greatly, IMHO, from coming directly after Saguenay (or however you spell it). The HOHO bus was a school bus that runs from the visitor center (for that read: a place for the sailors to gather when the ships come in) and charges $10 or so for a ride back and forth to town.

The shops were there -- not many and only a few of interest. There's a coffee shop/restaurant that was absolutely overwhelmed by the numbers of people. A soap maker who specializes in healthy, well-made soaps (expensive), a lovely gift shop that has lots of very interesting kitchen/living room items, and a small downtown to walk around. We had no interest in a hydro dam -- seen enough of those in other areas.

Personally, I'm not at all sure why the ships even stop there. I'd rather have sailed right by and spent the day looking at scenery.

Reply to: one day in Baie Comeau off cruise ship
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted