We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late August Whale Watching

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Late August Whale Watching

We will be in St Andrews the 28th of August. Will be able to see whales? Will there be any problems with insects?

Saint George, Canada
Level Contributor
294 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late August Whale Watching

No problem with insects on the bay (or in St. Andrews). The later, the better when it comes to whales... so you're better off sailing in late August then in July or early August. A few of the tour companies actually operate into late September.

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
146 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late August Whale Watching

What species of whales are being spotted and also if you were going on a tour which company would you go with?

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late August Whale Watching

I was out yesterday(September 15th) and saw Minke and several Finbacks including a mother with calf. All the whale tours operating out of St. Andrews in September are excellent but if time is a concern - you might consider a trip with fundytiderunners.com - they are often the first to spot the whales de jour and the whole experience is packaged within a 2 hour whale intensive thrill ride. Don't miss it .... here are some of my images of whales and the compelling scenery of Passamaquoddy Bay .....

www.derekgrantdigital.com/bay-of-fundy-whales

http://www.fundytiderunners.com/

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Late August Whale Watching

I'm coming to Saint John for a conference in late September and whale watching is on the agenda. Just how cold will it be on the water in another week?

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late August Whale Watching

The whale watching tour companies are very weather sensitive, If it's too cold, they won't go. What usually happens on the inevitable colder mornings in early autumn is that they schedule one trip at 1pm and when the sun and temps are at their peak. Having said that, I was out a couple of times last year in late September and was warm as toast in a tshirt and light windbreaker.

Edited: 9:40 pm, September 16, 2014
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Late August Whale Watching

Thanks, Derek -- it is a 1 pm tour time that we have. I guess I'll pack for all eventualities!

7. Re: Late August Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, January 08, 2016